This PC will be the death of me!

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Latest update re this bloody PC
Ok all working fine now, but...you know when you fire it up and get the windows XP screen with the blue bar that moves along? well when that goes a few seconds later my login/password screen pops up then I go into windows desktop and once its up a minute or so I am running along sweet as a nut.
Well now I get the windows XP blue bar then that goes and I wait a full minute or two before the password screen comes on then it fires up as I would expect. I have tried everything from a distant system restore to reg repair software but cant cure this probelm any one havea clue??
Please....
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I used to run a USB hub

Then my machine started to take ages to boot up

That is many minuets instead of seconds at about that point

I was told it could be the hub or anothe USB device so I disconnected it as all was sweet

Have you any new or different USB devices connected?

Just a long shot :worried:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

hi Garry I will check this out maybe one of the USB thingies is playing up.. trouble is it my first day off after nights and the last time i was in bed was Sunday night... so I am fuddled :lol:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Tony

Yeah a bit much these nights then days routine.

Maybe tomorrow all will be clear

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Tony

All sorts of things happening between the logo screen and the login. Drivers being loaded etc to let Windows do its thing.

Without running various diagnostic software to see what is taking all the time, one of the things that can take a long time is network drivers - if they have to keep retrying before things work there are long delays.

If no one else offers anything, I'll see if I can find what loads in XP during boot up related to that time (I never see the login screen having chosen to boot to default user each time). Or find some simple test software (Bootvis from M$ is a little complex).

Ian

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Bootvis does lose me :smile:
Ok I tried removing USB hub etc still no different.
But what I ahve noticed is during that long time between windows XP screen to getting to log in (2 mins) I can hear my 2nd hard drive chuntering away as if the PC is reading it, odd thing is the number 1 hard drive has all my windows files etc the 2nd disc just stores stuff... never noticed this when it booted quicker.. odd??

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

MSCONFIG will tell you which programs and processes are being loaded (I think). Good be a good place to look, as it will also let you disable any you don't feel are strictly necessary.

AndyG

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Might also be worthwhile starting in safe mode and seeing if it stops for a long time on one particular item as the drivers and services load. That may give you a clue, but not guaranteed as I had a startup problem and this just confused me even more.

As for the other hard disk, where is the Windows swap space allocated? On the same disk as Windows, or have you manually changed it to the other disk? Lack of swap space can cause problems on start up.

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Thanks guys for all the help on this.
Ok done the msconfig bit, now the swap file is set by me and uses the C drive not my 2nd hard drive. I tried to check it in Diskkeeper which I have it would not scan it due to an error! so went into windows and fix errors on that hard disc diskeeper scanned it then and all ok but a good chunk of it was shown as "reserved system space" now I do not know why as nothing to do with windows is stored on that drive?? I was considering buying a portable hard drive large enough move all the files to the portable one ( heck of a lot of FS zips and 5gb of my paining gear)
Then formatting the drive see what happens then put the files back on?? More bloody money :roll: Anyway if anyone knows why I have this stuff reserved for system space let me know? thanks again for some great help here.. it has stopped me doing the ultimate fix...open bedroom window.. hoof pc onto drive... does the pc no good but I woyuld feel great satistfaction :wink:

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

The reserved sysem space seems to space used by Windows for storing the MFT (yes and my brain hurts from reading about it).

The MFT is the master file table that keeps track where your files are on the disk (an index if you like). So nothing to do with booting the sysytem.

Have you tried starting in safe mode and seeing if it stops on a driver for a while?

Ian