The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

This PC will be the death of me!

Post by tonymadge »

I am having problems..for a change!
Seems that it all loads up ok but the internet or zone alarm, the last two do not come on line and I can do nothing with the PC other than reboot manually... I have restored to various dates and sometimes it works other times it don't bit like a few that live round here!! Ok I need some advice, like how do I get my hands on the b*****d that ripped me off with it ( have I said how good Mush Computers are before?)

No seriously any clues... I thought I may have to go to do a Windows XP repair but Mush dont give you an XP disc, (how kind of them) they give you a disc with all sorts on plus Xp?? and state DO NOT OPEN maybe cause there is bugger all one there.
Oh life was so simple when we used to talk to each other go to the pub, fight on Saturday nights, chat up them funny things with bumps on the front.. Now we are slaves to a beige box... I blame the bloke who invented the "clicker" that is now called a TV remote..it's been downhill ever since, he should have his personals tied to a jack russell who in turn is let off to chase the neighbours cat....Life was so simple them days.. :think: dream ...dream...
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Thanks Dan, I just got in from my last night shift only to find it being as awkward as ever to fire up. I think the problem may be something to do with Zone Alarm... Now I have changed my Anitvirus software a bit recently trying to find one that suits me best, always unistalling them before I add something different. However on start up the pc gets to load everything but the last two icons, Zone Alarm and the internet. these don't load and I am stuck with a non working pc, try it in safe mode all ok.. Today same thing except it told me Zone Alarm was initiating and to wait, which I did and waited a bit more, then some..so I dumped Zone Alarm via safe mode and now use Windows own firewall which with my wireless router (firmware firewall) I should be ok. Oh and I have gone back to AVG it's just so easy to use and if I keep away from them websites with the naughty ladies on I am hopeful I will be ok????

captkidd
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by captkidd »

Try running Microsoft Bootvis. This can optimise your boot-up sequence and will also show where it's getting "stuck" during boot up.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=664

All the best,

Dave.

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

will do many thanks :)

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

What anti-viral software are you currently using Tony?

My feeling is that a reinstall of Zone-Alarm might get over the problem, can't say I'm happy with the thought of you relying on Mr Gates Firewall - the words "chocolate" and "fireguard" spring to mind!!

AndyG

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

I am back to AVG as this seems to work with my pc very well and the user controls are so easy ie I can omit certain parts of my PC during the scan like FS which is bloody huge :smile:
I also havea wireless router a Linksys which has abuilt in firewall so that along with the Bill Gates special will be working ok. I noticed with Zone Alarm out I am up and running a full 30 secs faster!!!

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Ah well, a good result in the end. Now you can get back to repainting; I seem to have spent the best part of the last two evenings downloading your stuff from HJG, to fill out my Retro FS9 install; time well spent I feel! :smile: :thumbsup:

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

:lol: funny enough I have just finished two more and donea mini update today..NATO 707-320C and an IRAQI 707-320C

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Can you hear that noise? That's the sound of the NATO repaint downloading! :smile:

AndyG