Thanks for the aircraft!..

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Bobcat
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Thanks for the aircraft!..

Post by Bobcat »

Hello People, :hi:

I would just like to say thanks to the aircraft developers whos models are available and supported from this site.

I have downloaded just about all of them and they are superb - in some cases they are equal or even better the payware quality aircraft that I have.

I have had FS2004 installed sice it came out. I have an AMD4000 overclocked by 15% with a big Zalmec fan, it's dead stable. A Radeon X800 and 1 Gig of ram. I have FS locked at 30 fps and everything maxed-out plus 25% AI traffic, and it is silky smooth. I sometimes get small stutters when approaching large airports due to loading the all textures for the AI traffic I believe, But on the whole I have it running great.

I have FSX installed also. I have been tweaking it for weeks. It is getting better but still nowhere near FS2004 for fluidity (which one of the most important things to me - or it ruins the effect of flight). Most people are saying you need 2 Gig of Ram, but I think a MUCH quicker processor will be needed as well - maybe one not available yet!

I have left FSX installed but have gone back to my beloved FS2004 for now. I don't think I will be using FSX until a new computer next summer maybe. I can turn a lot of the settings down but in some cases it is then worse than FS2004 for graphical quality so no point. In some cases it is a step backwards over FS2004 - the land classes are a disgrace! I my opinion MS need to issue a complete rework upgrade for FSX, not just a patch! :think: (how likely is that?.. :roll: )

Anyway, once again, thanks for the aircraft and also the people who contribute to make this forum such a good place. :smile:

Just one more thing. I have tried to donate at a few of the sites but I keep getting a message that it doesn't like my credit card. There is nothing wrong with it. It is a standard CapitalOne Mastercard and I use it every day - any Ideas? I really don't want to sign-up to paypal unless I really have to - I don't like the look of their terms and conditions - or am I just being paranoid?

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Welcome aboard Bobcat and thanks very much for your comments :wink:

Like you, some here have embraced the new sim but I feel the majority (me included) are getting bored with the 'hidden cost' of having to upgrade our systems to make the darned thing run. Your 4000 chip will run rings around my XP2400 and XP3200 systems and if you're not happy with it, there seems little point in me reverting to slideshow mode just to keep up with the times :roll:

Not sure what the problem could be with your card. I know that DM's site will accept mastercard/visa but the others may well be Paypal or nowt else!!

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Bobcat

And Welcome

Thanks for the upbeat support

As with Dave I see little point at the moment with FS.X

It seem you buy something that is far superior to FS.9 then have to turn it down to below the standard of FS9 to make it run nearly as well as FS9 :think:

A bit lit borrowing money.......you get more so that you can be poorer :think: :doh:

:lol: :lol:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

PayPal - had no problem with them - can't remember the terms and condition since I've had an account for 6 years.

The problems that I have had are more to do with trying to get refunds off the thieving b*st*rds on EBay, but even that has been mostly successful.

And so long as the people who you are paying with PayPal are trustworthy and deliver the goods when paid, I see no problems.

But who were you thinking of paying :shock: :think: :wink:

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Ian,

Ebay own PayPal :think:

Bobcat
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Bobcat »

petermcleland wrote:Ian,

Ebay own PayPal :think:
:smile: Yes! Exactly!

Their T&C summarised is - they can do whatever they want, you have no rights whatsoever!

The kind of thing that puts me off is I remember a particular story involving a payware C-130 Herk, everyone had their monies frozen and Paypal were hanging onto them. They would not forward the funds to the company and the people who paid were having terrible trouble getting their money reimbursed. I am still not sure how it finished up, but basically if you sign up to their T&C they can do anything they want.

It is not the fear of getting ripped-off that worries me, it is the principle of their T&C.

Still - it looks like I might have to bite the bullet - I accept it appears that 99% of people have no trouble with it. :think:

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Bobcat and welcome to the Forum.

Interesting in what you say about FSX as there have been a number of threads regarding issues with the programme, from what I have read I will not bother as if add-ons can improve FS9 to the point where you have everything you want and running on it to make it realistically better than when it was first installed from the box, then why is there a need to rush out and buy? unless of course it came with photo-realistic scenery, clouds and not forgetting Tantris looking A1 aircraft. If companies such as Just Flight can produce third party add-ons of scenery to improve quality, why is it that Microsoft cannot match it and produce it??

Regards Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Without defending PayPal - there are enough forums on the web that suggest not all is well and needs to be regulated - the Captain Sim C130 debacle may not have been PayPal's fault: :dunno:

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az= ... 1919&page=

And one never knows how much of the reported "hacking" of PayPal accounts isn't the result of a phishing scam, ie they inadvertently handed over the details.

@Peter - yes I do know that Ebay owns PayPal - be good if they were separate - but I have to live with that for the convenience. And I would never spend big money on Ebay anyway.

Another option for online payment is NoChex but not many sellers take that.

Hence PayPal has a near monopoly - so you either grin and bear it or pay by cheque.

Brian Franklin
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Brian Franklin »

Hi Bobcat and you're most welcome!

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Bobcat

Thanks for your kind words.

Don't worry about paypal.
I use it almost daily and have done since it was introduced in the UK.

247 transactions so far and no errors at all.

Regards
Rick