How can one remove mesh chasms?

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Effoh
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Effoh »

You're welcome guys and thanks for letting me learn how to create flatten switches! I'd also like to apologise in advance to John if this now means someone suggests we move hubs to Croydon :lol:

DaveB,

I'd be interested to hear which Croydon you think best now you have them both. Interestingly enough it would appear the two authors have placed them about quarter of a mile apart!

If you wish to remove EGLL, add

Exclude=N51 28.74,W0 29.60,N51 27.55,W0 24.46,all

after the flatten line and uncheck the Heathrow aerial photoscenery in your scenery list. If you use AI , I have an AFCAD file that stops them showing up at EGLL - can send it to you if you wish.

Rgds,

Colin
Last edited by Effoh on 22 Nov 2006, 22:44, edited 1 time in total.
Rgds,

Colin
Gentleman (n.) Someone who knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn't

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

DaveB wrote:I already have gazoolians of em already in my texture folder
Try this little utility then: "Find_All_Duplicate.exe"

Does what it says in the title, and does it good.

I run it every time I install a new scenery. No doublets at all!
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Guys (and I hope you're still looking in Hobby) :wink:

Tks VM for the HU on that duplicate-finder Dan :wink:

Colin..
I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place. The VA aircraft I fly span the DH89a up to the Tri3 and my current sceneries are not suitable for either :sad: The UK2000 LHR is far too modern for the Tri3 though Croydon is too old :roll: I usually go bull at a gate and look in the UK2000 folders and move out the offending airfields that cause conflicts to another folder which works for the most part (especially with airfield elevation problems). It's rough and ready and that's the best I can say about it :lol:
Two other airfields come with VLA (VintageLondonAirports).. Hendon and Brooklands, this done by JM. I was keen to see both but sufferred frame hits and disappearing textures.. especially with Brooklands so I moved them out. For the purposes of the VA.. Brooklands is a bit of a misnomer and Hendon's roots are far more RAF orientated than Civvie leaving Croydon to carry the flag. For a period 'Civvie' airfield.. JM's Croydon does what is says on the box. I don't care much for the trees (even now I see them all) as these tend to look out of place and put unwarranted stress on FR's. The WWII Croydon by Gary Burns is a lot less frame hungry but has the disadvantage of showing Anderson shelters. I've not tried to add the afcad for it or the Spit or Hurricane that will take off at regular-ish intervals so can't really comment there.
Thing is, we're not really spoilt for choice. For a 'Period' Civvie airfield, JM's is the best available. For a WWII period airfield, Gary's has the relevant buildings in place but not as many as you'd expect for flying 'Imperial Airways' :think: Perhaps it built up a little 'post war' before it's final demise.. I honestly couldn't say. I suppose it all boils down to what you fly :wink:

Adequate scenery (though not without a tweak) for the GB Croydon.. too many trees and I don't like the 'perimeter road traffic' on JM's. The file used for the latter is an old FS2000 prog and cannot be tweaked to show realistic road traffic speeds in 2004 and while this is not really noticeable during daylight hours.. in the evening and early morning, the roads around the airfield resemble Logan's Run more than 1920's south london :huf:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Effoh
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Effoh »

Thanks DB - as you say it's all down to personal choice at the end.

I might have a tinker with JM's scenery to see what can be done. Never tried scenery stuff before and have found it a pleasant diversion :smile:

Rgds,

Colin
Rgds,

Colin

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

That would get a big thumbs up mate :wink:

It's only a personal observation/like/dislike but I really don't think the trees add anything to the JM airfield. I can see why he's added them but the overall effect makes it look less real than it would with them not there.. well, the tree's and the whizzy cars :wink: Certainly better than nowt though and full marks for him taking it on :smile:
There are few airfields in the flightsim world where you can fly in an HP42 or a Rapide and feel comfortable and a few more would be nice. :wink:
ATB

ImageImage

Effoh
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Effoh »

DB,

The old FS2000 traffic proggy that does the whizzy cars you mentioned - what's it called please?

Rgds,

Colin
Rgds,

Colin

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Colin,

I'll have to dig a little for it matey. It looks like the same prog used to make the OSS Shoreham outside traffic move (I did some testing for that) and this was the explanation I was given. Will get back to you :wink:

ATB

ImageImage

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

In danger of Thread hi-jacking: I've just downloaded and installed KBOS (needed it for a quickie across the pond) and to my surprise it was/is VERY good.

Why am I saying this? Well, on the freeway nearby the airport there's a LOT of traffic, both ways. and my FPS doesn't seem to be affected.

SO...the guy who made that, might also know some tricks on adding traffic elsewhere....

His name is.....(just a sec...)

George Grimshaw .. There you go...(the scenery is btw: bostonv2.zip)

Sorry for the divert, now back to you guys....
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

Effoh
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Effoh »

Hi DB,

Thanks - no rush. Did a bit a forum reading on moving traffic last night and my head still hurts! It seems to be a matter of removing the 'roads' around the perimeter but I can't, at the moment, find a tool that will let me do that. The trees would appear to disappear if you remove the appropriate bgl and texture files.

Never mind, will give me something to think about at work today :lol:

Dan,

I agree about the Boston scenery. I tried it a little while ago and was impressed.

Rgds,

Colin
Rgds,

Colin

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

How can one remove mesh chasms?

Post by hobby »

I flew a DC3 on a CBF VA flight from Gatwick to Frankfurt during daylight this afternnon and this flight took 2.7 hrs from start to finish, I do not start on the runway preferring to begin and end at the gate so time has to be allowed fot taxying at ech end of the flight.

I used the archived ASv6.5 weather for 16th Nov 2006 which for most of the flight at 5000ft gave clear skies over the European mainland and an excellent opportunity to see that the many rivers I flew over no longer run in chasms but appear as one would expect to see them in the real world. Many thanks once again 'Effoh.' It certainly was worthwhile applying the suggested alterations to the Fs9.cfg.