A PICTURE TO DROOL OVER

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

The CAF AirSho at Midland the last couple of years has had full 4-ship formations for both the Navy and Air Force Heritage flights as well.
Chris the Navy wouldnt DARE at Nellis - Although last year the LtCmndr from Oceana that did the LAST ever public show with a Tomcat did sort of put EVERYONE to shame :lol:

Leif

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

I dunno... anymore Nellis is more of a JAB (Joint Air Base) with all of the joint exercises they do out of there both between the US and other countries and between the US services. Although I noticed the Navy's finally getting the idea and starting to stage more of their ops for the joint ops out of China Lake instead of Nellis or Indian Springs.

Either way, I liked the USAF Heritage flight this year better anyway at AirSho for two reasons -

1) The CAF Corsair pilot this year wasn't Navy HF certified, so he wasn't in the formation and it ended up being the Wildcat, Hellcat, and Bearcat with the Hornet. The second day it was the 'Cats on one pass and then the AD-5 Skyraider alone with the Hornet which was a bit better, but still not great.

2) The Air Force Heritage flight flew MUCH tighter formation than the Navy guys did (this was with an F-15, 2 P-51s and another plane that I can't remember right now), and their breakaway was much more spectacular - they came from behind the crowd, passed over and then all 4 broke in different directions with the F-15 going into max-AB and taking it vertical, the 2 P-51s crossing over each other *AND* the F-15, and the lead aircraft breaking down and doing a Split-S. Looked awsome.