budget graphics cards

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

hinch
VC10
VC10

Post by hinch »

yeah, i've been looking and it is pretty hard to pull up AGP cards on most websites, and even if i do they're quite a bit more than the PCIE cards.

reading around for an hour or so i've found these (overclockers was recommended to me for being the cheapest also)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... =GX-092-LT
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... =GX-116-SP

on paper the cards are similar and in games such as Doom3, so i guess the question is are these cards good and does one work better with flight sim than the other?

i also play Il-2 but that's not really too intensive anyway. my card has killed itself because i run at 1280x1024 which it just wasn't designed to do :lol:

jeggsy
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by jeggsy »

Got an Asus Gefore 6800 256Mb AGP card in my 3.0GHz Athlon, 1Gb RAM, 3 year old PC and that runs FS9 pretty good.

I work in an IT department and was looking for an AGP graphics card for a mate the other day. Typically a Geforce 7600GT 256Mb AGP card would set you back about £100ish. and is pretty much the max for an AGP slot without spending more money for not much more performance.

There is a Geforce 7600GS which is slightly cheaper (£75ish) than the 7600GT but this would be slightly slower. There is the Geforce 7300 series which is cheaper again but slower still. You pay's your money and takes your choice !!!!

Must admit not really up on the ATI cards as I've always gone for Nvidia at work & home.

If you have an Intel 3.4GHz P4 CPU and 1Gb RAM in your PC then the 7600GT would work a treat but it depends if your pockets are deep enough !!!! if not a 7600Gs would be OK.

Hope that helps !!

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

A 7600GT is not the max for an AGP slot. What about the 7800GS or the X1950Pro? Both would put a 7600GT in it's place.

As for the 7600GS and the X1600Pro, the 7600GS is the faster card.

Have you had a look on ebay though? You can pick up an AGP X800Pro for around £60.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

hinch
VC10
VC10

Post by hinch »

yup, i'm planning on using ebay - i'm watching 2 x800's, a 7800 and a few 7600's.

i'll get the best bargain - trying to get a new card though as ssecond hand hardware just doesn't seem like a good idea.

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

trying to get a new card though as ssecond hand hardware just doesn't seem like a good idea
Much of my kit here is "secondhand". If it worked when it arrived, then it still is, ie months/years later. Ok so it is 1 or 2 generations old and not cutting edge. Probably the only thing I buy new is hard disks to get the warranty.

But if I wanted to I could afford to go out and buy two brand new PCs. I just can't justify it to myself (don't need to justify it to anyone else :wink: ). Same principal as with a new car - depreciation.

So for those who want the newest and shiniest, let me buy your "old" kit.

hinch
VC10
VC10

Post by hinch »

well i'm going to sell my old card on ebay - i will put that its had its day but will make a nice upgrade for a 64mb...

i'm just not sure if other ebayers would be as honest ;)

i can get 20% student discount at pc world, so a 7600GS would be about £70 which is pretty good. on ebay they're going for about £55.