IFC Show visit and saved a fortune

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

IFC Show visit and saved a fortune

Post by tonymadge »

My advice to anyone who has not gone, go now.... Oops too late its shut :smile:

Why well I picked a superb bargain today, I went there after looking at the VFR demo movie and thought I would get myself FSX and VFR and have some fun.
My first stop was at the MS stand where they had a dozen decent PC's with FSX on to play with. Great I thought a decent PC running it with MS guys on hand to ask advice of...Ummm.... I tried various machines all with "default" and modified dispaly settings and it was sh*t quality poor very cartoony, stuttering worse than a stuttering thing on a stuttering day out at the stuttering convention...if you get my drift :wink:
I thought I must be doing something wrong.... find a MS expert I said to myself... Ummm challenge of the day.. I hunted high Low I hunted in the bars under the tables even outside in the pond in case they had tried to drown themselves (more likely drowned by poor b*stards that had wasted their dosh) But no luck which I found odd.
So we have a brand new FS sim being previewed in this country with no reps around... tells you something doesnt it.. :tuttut:
Thanks MS as you saved me wasting a load of money on FSX and VFR :lol:

The demo movie on the VFR stand was very good however I don't know what pc they used... but it aint the norm...
:think:
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Tony

your PC is way faster than mine.

how come i can run FSX fine ?

There is a guide available on FS.com for getting good frames and it works fine for me.

Regards
Rick :wink:

Brian Franklin
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Brian Franklin »

Hi Tony, glad someone liked it!.. Personally I was very disappointed. Almost £20 just to see things which are in every magazine. There was nothing new and very little old stuff to boot!

For me the only saving grace was getting a look at the Generation X scenery.

After trying 2005 and 2006 I won't be going to IFC again!

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Rick I am not sure why, but looking at the set up on the MS stand they ran it as bad as mine, I spoke to Garty Summons and he said 95% of the folk he had seen over the weekend thought FSX was rubbish and would not buy it or had bought it and uninstalled it! Brian I agree it was not really worth the money I was fortunate to geta free parking and entry pass, oh and the ladies going to the clothes show was worth seeing but that was all... likewise I will not nother going to another one as they were pretty poor and nothing of note there :sad:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I can never understand entrance fees

You pay to go and see them try and sell you something :think:

So why not charge an entrance to a shop.............or if they say this is not like a shop it is demo to see what you can buy..then that would be the same as charging to go look around a car showroom

:dunno:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

I can never understand entrance fees

You pay to go and see them try and sell you something
Totally agree.

So I saved myself cost of petrol/entrance/parking today by not going. What shall I buy instead? :think:

Similar approach to the Good Food Show at NEC a couple of weeks ago. We decided to go out to a restaurant for a meal instead. To use the "in vogue" terminology: wallet neutral :lol:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Exactly Ian

If you are going to spend then it may as well be on a treat like that

Could even get an FS add on

As you say with the costs of getting there no matter what form that takes it is going to cost a meaningful amount.

When going to the fair I used to offer the kids some money and say you can play the stalls or we can go into town and you can spend it on what you really want..they always chose Town

Come away with something for sure that way.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

ummm £45 for FSX, £100 for VFR scenery So I saved £145 by going..... thats reverse thinking I know :lol:
I agree these things are expensive, like the motorbike show in October I had a trade pass which was cheap. If I had paid full price I would have been disapointed... I usually am anyway :dunno:

alan cottrill
Lightning
Lightning

Post by alan cottrill »

I went to the show,on sat,and the best vfr scenery i saw was going into the clothes show,but that aside,i liked what i saw at the il2 stand,with the up and coming battle of brittain demo by oleg. :dance:
Yes i saw the fsx,and not fully impressed,i think i will wait until vista/dx10 are out,and see if that improves the fsx,as for the graphics not being to good,that depends on the graphics cards in the computers used,again that could be part of the reason for the stuttering and poor frame rates,it did have some good points on it,and the wet surfaces looked good,you also have to remember,that people fiddle with the machines fsx settings,at shows like this,and that wont show things at thier best,and i did get to talk to an MS rep,who was very helpful,so i will keep an open mind for now,and play the waiting game,to see what happens. :think:
I dont think the show was as good as blackpool,but i think things in general seam to be slowing down in the manufacturing industry,and i managed to get one programe i went for FSDS3,just got to learn how to use it now. :roll:
Anybody know of any good instrument/panel design progs for fs9. :dunno:
regards alan. :smile:

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Alan I agree re the scenery bit :wink:
Also the settings yes I did play with them and set them to default then played some more but it was still poor.. Like you I will hold off until I upgrade, but that will be a long time yet not next year..