The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

LongHaul
Comet
Comet

Circular routes with MS Flight Planner?

Post by LongHaul »

Hi folks,

Ive been trying to plan some circular routes in the default FS9 Flight Planner. i.e. take off from an airport, follow a course to a given point or points, then return to the same airport. However, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it without including a different airpot as the final destination point, which just makes the plan messy. Is there any way of planning a route with identical start and end points, or is it a no-hoper?

Thanks in advance

Rich

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Rich,

I've never tried it with the default planner but it can be done with FSNav.. useful for doing AAR flights out of Brize :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

LongHaul
Comet
Comet

Post by LongHaul »

Cheers Dave. Might break the piggy bank open and get FSNav. Ive got loads of Ted Cooks beutiful RAF bombers installed but nowhere to fly them at the mo :roll:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Okey doh mate. I've not done it for a while but I'm as certain as I can be that it worked fine :wink:

Btw.. I'll be passing through Brownhills off the M6 Toll tomorrow (Wed) on my way to the folks in Pelsall!! :smile:

ATB

ImageImage

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Umm this topic has come up before and you can build round robin flights using MSFS flight planner - basically you build the route to a distant fix then route it back to an airport close to the departure point and modify it at the end - for example build a route from Brize to Kemble and the modify the the route to a distand fix --- once that is done you can modify the arrival BACK to Brize.....Tried it a while back for doing a route3 from Honiara (Henderson Field Solomons) up to a volcano and back using Vella la Vella as the distnad point (the route of flight was aright over the volcano) then modified the route back to Honiara - it worked fine -

Try it - you may not have to shell any money out (although FSNav and FSBuild are excellent things to spend that gift card from Grannie on)

Leif

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Bear in mind that the FSNav website indicates that the current version of FSNav is not compatible with FSX.

A new version will be needed at a low price on introduction. No upgrade from v4.7 to v5.

LongHaul
Comet
Comet

Post by LongHaul »

Cheers for the advice guys :smile: Leif, if Ive understood you correctly, I need to build a route to a waypoint, rather than airport to airport, THEN build a route from the waypoint back to the point of origin? I have tried building a 'normal' route, putting the departure airport as the penultimate waypoint, then deleting the arrival airport, but flight planner doesnt seem to like that :think:

Btw Dave, as your folks are in Pelsall, you're no doubt familiar with the Tin Man on Brownhills Island :lol: ...and that other monstrosity which is the T&S distribution centre on the Pelsall Road, which was my place of employment until a few months back! :lol:

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

I would be pretty easy to get on that has FSNavigator to plot in your desired flight plan and export it in fs2004 format....just post your desired routing, and I'm sure some one will be of assist to you:

There are also on-line routing programs that you could use, and export them into fs2004 understandable format...one is fsroute another RouteFinder the latter works more or less like the default GPS, so you are forced to do some manual modification to the plan..

Good luck
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

LongHaul
Comet
Comet

Post by LongHaul »

Cheers Dan, I'll check them out :smile:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Rich..

Yes.. mate, not quite your 'Angel of the North' proportions but impressive nontheless (even though it's not my particular cup of tea) :smile: Didn't do too bad today.. dry on the way up, wet on the way back :lol:

If you're considering hanging on to FS9 for a while longer, I'm sure you'll enjoy FSNav and I for one consider it probably the best Fsim addon of all time. The team will update it eventually to FSX spec and when that happens, I'll consider buying the new sim.. not before :wink: If you go to their site ( http://www.fsnavigator.com ) you can pick up the full version in trial mode which limits you to so many uses so you can see for yourself how superior it is over the default planner. Ideally, it should be used on a second monitor (doesn't need any additional software.. you simply drag the window over) but it can be used just fine on a single monitor and resized (by dragging the corners) to suit :wink:

ATB

ImageImage