fanspeed > rear fan temp set too high?

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

hinch
VC10
VC10

fanspeed > rear fan temp set too high?

Post by hinch »

my pc cooling is in dissarray however replacement bits and a visit to the shop will sort that out after new year.

however i have work to do and my rear case fan is not spinning. when i turn on the pc it spins as fast as it can go but stops when windows begins to load.

nomatter what load i put on the pc it is not spinning. it's just a bog standard cheap case fan and used to spin fairly happily and you could hear when it sped up.

i have speedfan to roughly measure temperatures but between me and my dad we cannot get the fan moving, trying to manually control fan speed or setting the temperatures makes no difference.

we have decreased desired temps in the BIOS and it's not moving.

any help?

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

I take it the fan is plugged onto a 3 pin header on the motherboard?

Have you tried removing Fanspeed to see if the fan runs of it's own accord using the BIOS settings and not the Fanspeed software?
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

hinch
VC10
VC10

Post by hinch »

the fan has been installed a year now - it hasn't been touched so i guess it's still connected :lol:

speedfan only loads when i click it and can't actually alter my fan speeds according to the website as my motherboard isn't compatible :worried:

i've been looking at replacing it with one of these anyway:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Thermaltake-A2017 ... dZViewItem

i like the thought of manual control.

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

Before you go ahead and buy another fan, are you sure that your existing case fan is a 92mm one? Most case fans are 80mm or 120mm.

Also, what case do you currently have? A crap case with an exhaust fan is next to useless if the ventilation is poor anyway. Most cheap PC cases have badly designed grills blocking most of the airflow and increasing the noise.
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

hinch
VC10
VC10

Post by hinch »

the rear fan is now going - no idea how i just played around and it's going. keeps the case a good 10c cooler - good considering i don't have room for a front fan (i have bought a pretty good external fan which should be here soon - http://www.thermaltake.com/accessories/ ... n2plus.htm - i can also use it from mains via an adapter).

yeh the fan is 92mm, they seem pretty rare. i measured the distance between the screws - perhaps an 80mm fan? i don't know about that.

the case actually isn't too bad for a mid size. i dissambled some of the front fascia to reveal a lot of air holes. the rear is suprisingly good. it's no mac g5 full mesh affair but it's pretty good and has potential