Save the Royal Navy

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

simtrac
Meteor
Meteor

Post by simtrac »

Here's what our research (which may be wrong!) boils down to:

Canada - cheaper housing, but balanced by lower wages. A bit cold in parts. Probably good for ski-ing.

Australia - cheaper housing, good standard of living. Perhaps a bit hot for me, but Mrs. Simtrac loves the heat. Also, as I see it, once you've gone that far, you've really gone for good.

NZ - don't know much about it really except I've heard the climate is similar to ours. Again - go that far and you can really kiss your older relatives and friends goodbye.

Spain & Portugal would be easy and I could run my business as it is with the same clients I have now - from the side of the pool, Union flag (possibly a White Ensign) a-flutter from the side of the villa!

I'm still fuming ...
Simon

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

NZ - don't know much about it really except I've heard the climate is similar to ours. Again - go that far and you can really kiss your older relatives and friends goodbye.
Ex-neighbours moved to a job in NZ with 3 kids about 2.5 years ago. They were back inside 1.5 years. Not sure why - different comments from various people but seems like they didn't settle.

So seems it doesn't have to be forever.

If I were younger :-({|= Canada would be my choice. Somewhere like Okanagan Valley in BC. Cold and crisp in winter, hot and dry in summer.

And to return to His Toniness. he is setting up a charitable foundation and hopes to earn $250,000 for after-dinner speeches, and millions from his memoirs. And for his life after No.10 he claims he wants a job with "real purpose". So WTF has been doing for the last 9 years? :-#

Look out for the website http://www.blairfoundation.org.uk (not ready yet)

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Heh, Id be heading off to Alaska or the Canadian rockies. A nice log cabin by the lake, a floatplane tied to the jetty and .357 magnum to sort out the chavs :)

Allthough saying that, I do rather like Switzerland, but I dont know any German or French :lol:
Last edited by jonesey2k on 08 Jan 2007, 00:30, edited 1 time in total.
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Unfortunately I fear a bigger problem than Blair is his likely replacement, who has apparent notoriety for disliking the armed forces...
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

I dont know what is worse... a nutter who controls one of the biggest armed forces in the world.... or a nutter who wants to disband it.
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

J_Eden
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by J_Eden »

Garry Russell wrote:Sorry Simtrac...I have friends in NZ that say taxation there has increased along with bureaucracy to unacceptable levels.

Garry
NZ - The land of the long white cloud and the voice of the little man never gets listened to except if he's a minority (shhhhh....its not said so, but it's beyond a laughing joke now).

If you move to NZ, be prepared for a revolving door immigration policy, and Air Force with no attack force (because we will never use it apparantly), and for a general example - this is who we let out of our prisons: http://www.stuff.co.nz/3921702a10.html

Sorry, but NZ is not a place you want to come to - until we get a decent Prime Minister in that won't just ooh and ahh over everything.

Apologies, don't often post here, but NZ is heading down the shoot with our current leaders.

James :-$

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi James

NZ is about as far away as we can go.........sadly now even that is not far enough.

What you say is exactly what my freinds say.....such a lovely place to be other than the politics :sad: .

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

The way Blair, Brown and his followers have made us all financially worse off through increased taxations directly and indirectly, misappropriate use of our money from our pension funds (Dare I use the term Theft)? Now being forced to work beyond normal retirement age all because of financial mis-management by this government.

Brown has somehow managed to change the way inflation is calculated as by my figures, taking into account of petrol increases, utility price rises i.e. gas electricity, water and council rates on properties and the cost of houses, then the true rate of inflation should be around 12 to 15%.

The biggest problem is that who-ever takes over from this inept Labour Government is going to inherit an unexploded financial time-bomb and when it does go off, Labour will then blame the party in power for incompetence!!! :argue:

Oooops, sorry, just realised this was a thread for the Navy, hang on a minute, do we still have one? :think:
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Can we set up an online petition to ask the Govt to call a general election for say, oooh, how about next week? I cant even begin to abide with the thought of having to put up with two years or so of Golden Brown after Bliar's abdication.

Rory Bremner had it right when he impersonated Brown not long after they got in the first time:

"New Labour's about give and take. Give us enough time and we'll take the lot".

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

I can't see what your all getting at! I love the UK :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ATB Trev