New airport tax

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Captain Pugwash
Lightning
Lightning

New airport tax

Post by Captain Pugwash »

I have just received an e-mail reguarding the new airport tax as from 1st feb. 10.00 pound per person for domestic and 40.00pound per person international.

the part i need info on, if you have already paid and booked flight's from overseas's to the UK. transatlantic and domestic connections would i get hit with this rip off tax. if any one can help in gaining true clarification on this i would be greatful.
As i realy don't need to get stung at the airport with family in tow.

Robin
Trident
Trident

Post by Robin »

That is a very good question.

Thomsonfly still haven't decided on it at the moment. I know the short - mid haul has gone from £5 to £10.

Greedy buggers

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

There was a bit on the news tonight about people having to pay money at the airport when the holiday is already paid for, which supports what Tonks is saying.

I would think yes....you could be hit with it.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Robin
Trident
Trident

Post by Robin »

Yep that is correct, pay it or don't travel seems to be the word around.

Serves me right for not watching the news this morning. The first phone call I rec'd at 9am was about it. :D

Captain Pugwash
Lightning
Lightning

Post by Captain Pugwash »

I'am hoping by the time we fly from canada in may the british goverment has been brought down and the muppet replaced by someone with brains.
I can say this as i moved overseas after the so called labour party got into power. ( political party for the common man, yea! ). first job for tory blair was to phone maggie thatcher and ask how to run the country.
As we have booked through Air Canada for the complete trip would BMI as the connecting airline have to be contacted over this?
Wish i had known about this as it would have probably stopped the trip. Why should people not living in the UK have to pay this rip off tax. Same for those that come to Canada and get ripped off with the so called airport improvement tax , we have.

just to point out on our ticket it shows we have already paid $90.00 for the UK airport tax. :sad: sorry for the rant but this type of con get my blood boiling.

Robin
Trident
Trident

Post by Robin »

I really understand how you and the other people affected feel.

If it is a tax to put people off air travel raise it to £100 then people may not make so many journey's that need not be done.
Adding £5 - £10 to a journey is just a money making thing for sticky fingered Brown.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

It's a bit like the new ideas for paying to use roads..pay to dump rubbish....infact pay to use everything you have already paid for in other taxes.

Problem is opposition often rant against the government, but when they eventually get into power seldom reverse the decisions.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Vulcan_to_the_Sky!
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vulcan_to_the_Sky! »

I know that my flight to Dublin in Feb went up from £25 to £50 for seemingly no reason, and this was with Ryanair and was booked just after the taxes.......Not happy about that!

steveS4SSL
Meteor
Meteor

Post by steveS4SSL »

Jet2 have been charging the increase to the credit cards used to book the flights, after giving passengers five days notice by email.

Many have moaned and even said "surely they can't charge without my permission" .... except they did give permission. When will people learn to actually read the Terms & Conditions before ticking the little box and clicking "Continue".... :roll: :wink:
If taxes and charges increase after I book my flights what will happen?

If Governments or airport authorities impose increases or additional taxes and charges that will be in affect on the date of travel, the airline is responsible for collecting these on behalf of these bodies. We will notify you by email at least 5 days before debiting your payment card with the increased charges. Please be assured that no payment card fee will be levied in these circumstances. If your payment card is no longer valid, a Call Centre agent will contact you by telephone to request your new payment card details. If you object to any increases in government tax we suggest you contact your Member of Parliament to explain your viewpoint.
Ryanair, on the other hand, don't seem to have the same clause in their T&Cs unless it is only visible when booking...

I guess the thing here is, if you pay peanuts for a fare, it should come as no surprise if the airline passes on the cost in such unexpected cicumstances. After all, I wonder how much it would cost Ryanair and their ilk if they didn't do this? After all, you could potentially book nearly a year in advance and that means alot of flights for which the airline could potentially make a significant loss....

Take Ryanair as an example.... (hope my maths is not too bad!)...

You can book flights up to 12 months in advance (I think?) with Ryanair. The announcement was in December and the changes take effect from 1st Feb so that is potentially 10 months of flight dates affected. If only 5% of Ryanair's 31 million customers booked ahead enough to be affected, that is over 1.2 million passengers. With the increase of £10 for European flights (incl UK internal), that is £12 million pounds.... :wink:

Mind you, I don't fly Ryanscare and only fly QuesyJet if I have to.... :lol:
Steve
Trident Preservation Society member and keeper of XE624!
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.xe624.org
http://www.hs121.org
http://www.zulukilo.org.uk
http://www.cottesmore-ag.com

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

If it is a tax to put people off air travel raise it to £100 then people may not make so many journey's that need not be done.
So which flights don't need to be done? If I'm going on holiday to Mallorca then it needs to be done, and I'd object to paying any more tax.

Perhaps my business flight to Edinburgh isn't really necessary, but guess who'll be paying for that anyway - the man in the street as a customer. So I'll be allowed to go whatever the tax.

And friends going to Australia later this year have had to pay the extra tax already - so it's not just Ryanair!

And as for the rest of the nasty attempts to raise money such as paying (again) to have rubbish taken away, just how much rubbish is going to be dumped to avoid this? Fly-tippers of Britain unite!