New airport tax

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

I fly once a month from Spain to the UK, return, via Monarch. I am due to fly on FEB 1st, the day the tax comes into force. As yet, I have heard nothing. My objection is, how can you be taxed on something you bought and paid for, long before the budget took place :shock:
I just hope and pray that Brown does not get into No10, he is long past his sell by date :wink:
ATB Trev

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Trev,

Technically what Brown has done is illegal (surprise, surprise). Until the "pre-budget speech" changes are ratified by Parliament (a done deal?), they are not in the statute books.

Interesting concept that the contents of a "pre-budget speech" are implemented so fast.

Not sure when the ratification occurs. When is the Budget?

Ian

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Mind you not sure the other lot have a clue.

"Tim Yeo Wants to Abolish Domestic Flights"

Must have been a quiet nes day but various comments on TIm Yeo' expertise on this topic:

http://politicalopinions.co.uk/page/search/tag/flights

Some quotes from there

"He supplements his income by writing about the world's golf courses for the FT. Hardly essential is it? "

And if you search for Netjets in

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/regmem/?p=10658

he had a few "loaned to him in 2006".

I still want a voting slip that offers the choice "None of you lot"

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

At the end of the day this tax from Brown isn't anything to do with a taxation on air pollution but more of a smokescreen for an extra source of revenue for himself as this inept Government has wasted literally billions of pounds of our hard earned cash since it came to power.

:curse:
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Nigel,

Quite agree. Health service and education have had loadsa money poured in. About the only people benefitting seem to be the consultants (not the medical ones).

Ian

Captain Pugwash
Lightning
Lightning

Post by Captain Pugwash »

well i've just heard things have got worst for overseas travellers coming to the UK. the british goverment has said that we have to pay the 40.00 pund tax not just as we leave the country but also coming in.
that now has put an extra 300.00 pounds or $ 650.00 onto our tickets. So looking at the overall cost of the flights we are paying 70% of the total in tax/airport improvement tax/ the we can't affort the iraq tax and lets try to get blood out of a stone tax.
This no doubt will have a negative impact on the airlines, more people will say bugger this and not go. thus less income and where will they then tax you poor buggers to make up for it.

well the only thing i can say is, at least i got away with pay the POLL TAX from the last bunch. Also it snowing over here at last. now i can go and play in the white fluffy stuff. :yipeee: