The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Questions on Going Broadband

Post by Nigel H-J »

The wife says yes!! :redface:

I am going Broadband with a new provider next month and would like to ask you guys, to prepare myself for the switch a couple of questions.

I am presently with NTL on dial-up (56K) but now switching back to BT. They have their own security features on Broadband i.e. Anti-virus and Firewall protection.

I am presently running F-Secure Anti-virus and Firewall Protection on my PC and am happy with it. Can I continue with my F-Secure instead of using BT's' and if so, do I have to do anything to disable the BT one so it does not run or will I have to use theirs'?

Secondly, when BT Broadband is installed is it best to uninstall the NTL Software and if so, how can I be sure that all traces of NTL have been removed from my computer? :think:

Running XP Proffessional Service Pack 2

Any help or assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Regards Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

hinch
VC10
VC10

Post by hinch »

hi nigel,

the stock bt security is rubbish so don't install it. all you do is install the modem drivers, plug it in and go. the modem will create its own internet connection, no need to worry about additional software.

to remove all traces of NTL you need to show the hidden files and get into

c:/documents and settings/user/application data

and remove all the files you find to do with it - the same place you need to go to edit the fs9.cfg!

the registry will also have loads in you can expect. go to start > run and type in 'regedit'. if you search for ntl (file > search or ctrl +f ) i suspect there will be many entries, though this isn't a vital step and it can also be risky.

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Nigel,

The BT security stuff is Norton and general advice is leave it alone. It does not install unless you select it from the website. Also they will offer a branded version of Internet Explorer which again most cognoscenti ignore.

NTL probably installed some dialler - is there an uninstall for it in Control Panel/Add remove programs?

But since you will be using a router (according to BT website) from now on which connects via ethernet, remnants of the NTL dialler should not interfere. Just follow the instructions for setting up the network that should come with the router.

If you have a newsgroup reader you could read various discussions here:
bt.broadband.support
btinternet.users.broadband.technical
(or wait until you have broadband to read these).

Ian

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hinch, many thanks for your advice, will uninstall very carefully when changed over.

Ian, Just had a look and the 'NTL internet Connection Kit' can be removed through the add/remove feature in Control Panel.

BT security being Norton I will definitely not bother :shock:

Thanks for the warning.

Regards Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.