The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

dswanson
Trident
Trident

3D glasses and stereo drivers

Post by dswanson »

Hi,

I read this article on flightsim and am interested in trying it out as it looks much cheaper and more comfortable than the shutter type glasses.

http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main ... flying.htm

I'm a little confused over the nvidia stereo drivers. The article suggests that the main drivers and the stereo ones don't need to be the same version - anybody confirm this is correct?

I installed the latest main drivers as suggested by Peter Mc a little while ago and don't want to roll back to an earlier version. If I can just install the latest stero drivers and leave the existing main ones intact then I may have a go.

Anybody used these type of glasses and able to comment on their value ?
Regards,

Degsy

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I was so impressed, I sent them back and demanded a refund :wink: TBH mate.. I got mine years ago and thought after this amount of time they'd have 'em sorted :roll:

Basically.. you have two options. Go for the TrackIR and end up having to wear either a silly hat or headphones.. depending on which setup you go for OR.. wear Superman glasses indoors and look an even bigger prat. OK if you live on your own but totally pony if you don't. On the plus side.. TrackIR does work and you won't need to spend the rest of your life changing drivers. I can't think of a plus side to the glasses (not if they're edimensional) :huf:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

hinch
VC10
VC10

Post by hinch »

flying with the 3D glasses makes a nice change, i've done it a few times and it's easy just assigning a key to turn it on/off in game. it's simple and is novel but you do get FPS issues so don't expect to keep the scenery the same (aka 'off')

As for the drivers not being the same i'm afraid i don't know. mine are both 93.3 (or something like that) because all newer nvidia drivers play havac with my full screen mode.

lastly it isn't remotely convicing on a 21" screen

JimCooper
Lightning
Lightning

Fresnel Lens

Post by JimCooper »

If you want to improve 3D perception try a Fresnel lens. This works by re-focusing the image from your monitor so that all the light rays are coming out parallel to each other. This mean that when you focus on the Fresnel screen your eyes effectively focus on infinity. You will now have much greater depth perception because if you have mountains in the background, hills in the middle distance and object in the near distance your brain can quickly put them into perspective order..because the eyes are focussed on infinity and this is how you would naturally see them. If you focus directly on the monitor screen your brain is telling you that everything is 2ft away and you have to make a conscious decision as to what is horizon, far distance, middle distance and near distance.

In a REAL simulator Fresnel glass is placed between the projected image and the pilot for this very reason.

Regards

Jim

PS: Steroscopic imaging may become more prevalent but to match current resolutions will require dot pitches of 25% their current value and 4 times the resolution. ie Every pixel now will need to be replaced with 4 pixels: 2 for the red channel and 2 for the blue channel.