Taxiing the default DC3

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

LongHaul
Comet
Comet

Taxiing the default DC3

Post by LongHaul »

Hi chaps,

Johns superb paints have persuaded me to have a go with the default DC3, and so far, I have encountered only one major problem - I cant taxi the darned thing! I am familiar with models which use differential braking for steering - Lancastrian, Ensign et al - but the Dakota just doesnt seem to steer at all. No matter how much brake I apply, how hard I twist the stick, or how slowly I'm going, the plane still trundles on straight ahead, then suddenly turns about face and leaves me red-faced! :think: If there is a 'trick' to steering these things, I would be very grateful for a few pointers :wink: I seem to rember avsim or nonodes having a modified aircraft.cfg which made braking and steering easier, but I cant seem to find it available for download anywhere.

Thanks in advance

Rich

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Rich,

Visit here.. http://www.dc3airways.com for a selection of DC3 goodies :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Tom Clayton
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Tom Clayton »

Virtually speaking, I've attached a linkage from the rudder cables to the tailwheel so that it now responds to all rudder inputs. In the aircraft.cfg, find the [Contact Points] section and edit the first line like so:

point.0=1, -56.00, 0.0, -2.3, 1200.0, 0, 0.60, 70.0, 0.200, 2.5, 0.695, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
Proud member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Moderator: Sim-Outhouse Forum
You can also find me on Facebook

LongHaul
Comet
Comet

Post by LongHaul »

Thanks guys, I will give both of your suggestions a try :thumbsup:

JohnWillimas
VC10
VC10

Post by JohnWillimas »

Alternatively get a Saitek AV8R joystick - its got throttle controls for two engines on it. It's revolutionised ground handling for me. :smile: Thanks to my son who knows about sensible Xmas presents for his dad. :lol:

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi Rich,

I use a yoke and pedals and don't find any problem taxiing. I am using the file as descibed below.

1. For the Stock Douglas DC-3

AUTHENTIC FLIGHT MODEL VERSION 1.0
MICROSOFT DOUGLAS DC-3 (FS2004 ONLY)

This flight model was developed to replace the stock Microsoft Douglas DC-3 aircraft in Flight Simulator 2004. It was created using the Authentic Flight Model method, which uses a wind tunnel program to analyze the airfoil and compute the coefficients of lift, lift curve, drag, and aircraft pitch moment with a great degree of accuracy.

Highlights of this flight model include the following enhancements:

-- Virtual Wind Tunnel analysis of the NACA 2200 series airfoil used on this aircraft
-- Corrected fuel capacity (from 604 to 820 gallons)
-- Corrected horsepower, torque, and thrust
-- Accurate top speed, rate of climb, and cruise speeds
-- Corrected payload placement for a more accurate CG

With this flight model, the stock DC-3 is now a stable, predictable aircraft with the docile, forgiving flight dynamics for which it was so well-known, and its performance now matches its real-world counterpart.

The revised performance figures are reflected in the new checklist and reference sheet; just refer to these documents for this information.

Download "afm_fs2004_dc3.zip" from Sim-Outhouse

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?l ... ileID=1028

n.b. When you replace the aircraft.cfg file don't forget to re-edit to show any additional re-paints you are using.

Known 'bug' :-

In altering the aircraft weight and balance, the reference datum point for measurements was chenged. Unfortunately, the positions of the lights were left as per original datum point. To fix this, replace the section [lights] in the aircraft.cfg file with the text below :-

[LIGHTS]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
light.0 = 3, -7.95, -46.3, 0.65, fx_navredm ,
light.1 = 3, -7.95, 46.3, 0.65, fx_navgrem ,
light.2 = 3, -44.75, 0.00, 2.72, fx_navwhi ,
light.3 = 1, -17.55, 0.00, 6.15, fx_beaconh ,
light.4 = 4, 13.25, 0.00, 1.80, fx_vclight,
light.5 = 4, -13.75, 0.00, 4.20, fx_vclighth,

Your nav lights etc will now be in their correct positions.

I like it.

Rgds

John

LongHaul
Comet
Comet

Post by LongHaul »

Cheers John,

I might create a second DC-3 folder and try the model you have suggested, for comparison against the one I'm using now (basically the M$ one with Tom's tailwheel mod). If I like it, I shall ship all thirty-odd of your repaints over to it :wink:

johnhinson
Victor
Victor

Re: Taxiing the default DC3

Post by johnhinson »

LongHaul wrote:Hi chaps,

I seem to rember avsim or nonodes having a modified aircraft.cfg which made braking and steering easier, but I cant seem to find it available for download anywhere.

Rich
It was at AVSIM:
http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?Fi ... 3-taxi.zip

Dunno who did it . . . :o)

John

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Taxying the default DC3

Post by hobby »

Hi

All of my VA flying is carried out with a much modified default DC3 from the DC3 airways.com website.

Dave B suggested that you visit http://www.dc3airways.com and I would suggest that from that site you download Norman Hancock's new DC3 panel for the Default DC3. This is an excellent panel fully equipped with very good supplementary digital readouts and lots of other goodies such as the working RAF drift sight and bubble sextant.

If you use a couple of taps of "Shift +Enter" to raise the pilot's viewpoint you will find that this new acft cfg allows you to taxy very accurately providing you disconnect "auto-co-ordination" and you must unlock the tailwheel prior to beginning to taxy. Before take-off re-engage the tailwheel lock and "auto-coordination" and leave those controls set until you have effected your usual perfect landing and need to taxy from the runway.

When airborne immediately after take-off a tap on the "space bar" will return the pilot's eye view to the correct position for all flying until all three wheels are on the runway after landing.

When securely on the ground after your faultless landing retract all flaps ASAP. Use "Shift +Enter" so that you can see over the nose to taxy and when you have slowed enough to begin taxying disengage "auto-coordination" and unlock the tailwheel prior to turning off the runway. It does go round corners so much more easily if the tailwheel can castor freely!! Using your stick steer the aircraft to its parking spot. Brakes on and engines off. Open pax door. Listen for applause!!!

Best wishes, Hobby

LongHaul
Comet
Comet

Post by LongHaul »

Thanks for all the replies guys, I didnt realise quite how many DC3 options there were out there. Sorry for missing your file John, I did have a look at the usual suspects but somehow managed to miss it :roll: :redface: