Now from AlphaSim.........a Westland Whirlwind!!!

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

Frank, firstly it was 155 sqn, NEVER the 155th (a US term) and secondly I think (as an old RAF helo crewman) that they were Grey/Green, the RN aircraft were Earth/Green. Image
Here is a scan from a book on RAF Helicopters, the first 20 years. RAF aircraft used Grey/Green from the early 1950s up to the 1990s, never Brown/Green.

Confirmation is here...
http://www.rafweb.org/SqnMark152-158.htm#155
Sorry that the serial numbers are not readable.

This is my candidate for a re paint 110 sqn RAF in rescue YELLOW from 1959, the serial is XJ426, from a book written by a crewman on 155 and 110 of that time. Forgot I had it in my library!
http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/westland-wh ... har-10.htm
The shade of yellow is here, on a later model and at the above link
ATB Trev

paulb
Meteor
Meteor

Post by paulb »

Hi Trev

I hope that you dont mind me jumping in here, but I think that the 2 and 4 were brown/green - when camouflaged. :smile: As I am sure that you know, most of the 2 and 4s were not camouflaged. I fully agree that later versions eg 10 were green/grey.

The colour pic in the link that Frank posted does show brown/green. Also I have looked in two different issues of Scale Aircraft Modelling - both show the 2 and 4 as brown/green (Joint Experimental Unit and 155 Squadron). Lastly, in Air Pictorial 1955 - the journal of a roving spotter - he says "the Whirlwinds used by 155 Squadron in Malaya are camouflaged green and brown overall".

BTW, my best guess as to the reason for the brown/green is that the Joint Experimental Helicopter Unit formed at Middle Wallop in early 1955 was a joint RAF and Army Unit; and that 155 Squadron was reformed around that time in Malaya to support joint RAF and Army operations. Its worth remembering that the AAC was not established until 1957, so the RAF supplied their helicopter support 1955 to 1957. Green/Brown was quite normal for early AAC aircraft.

Cheers Paul

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

Hi Paul, I stand corrected!
If anybody has plans to do a yellow rescue one, I have come across another pic, which I can scan.
This one (UK based) has the logo RESCUE on her.

And the famous engine failure in front of the press

Frank is doing the camo RAF version, perhaps when she is released (any day now), Garry or the UKMIL guys might be tempted with the SAR version. I can just remember the old HAR4s at Tangmere. THe HAR10 came to Tangmere in 1963, when I was 5 years old!
ATB Trev

chockhead819
Meteor
Meteor

Post by chockhead819 »

typical crabs wearing his beret, did he not know about FOD :tuttut: