Now from AlphaSim.........a Westland Whirlwind!!!

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Michael davies
Trident
Trident

Post by Michael davies »

I configured the empty weight as 5250lbs, if some one is kind enough to let me know the new weight for the UK BA/BSF bolt fitted ( its a long time since l've heard those terms used for fixings LOL ) variant l can split the difference and have a slightly heavier US version and slightly lighter UK version, TBH you probably wont notice the difference in handling.

The FDE requires a much lighter feel than previous Alphasim helos, l am slowly redoing all of my previous and theres a thread at AS where you can pick up more 'delicate and stable' FDEs for the Apache ( currently V1.2 ) and both Merlins (V1.8), later next week l should have new Seaking ones as well if anyone is interested.

Best

Michael

jamesstables
Comet
Comet

Post by jamesstables »

Off the top of my head its something like 100lbs but I'd have to check with someone as I don't have the AP's.

If you want any photos then I can do you some when I'm home at easter. There are quite a few on our website in the 'XA870 roll out gallery' section.

Michael davies
Trident
Trident

Post by Michael davies »

James,

A hundred pounds is not really worth changing anything, you'd need to alter the rotor power by 0.01 to off set it LOL, 1-2000lbs then yes it makes a difference, maybe 500lbs but 100lbs is nothing.

Of course anyone can alter this figure themselves in the cfg if they want to be very accurate, or if some people are not happy to do that then l can do them a seperate cfg with 100lbs added and send it to them, but l dont think you will feel any difference in the flight dynamics, but thats my personal opinion and l'm open to dialog.

Best

Michael

jamesstables
Comet
Comet

Post by jamesstables »

To be honest I wasn't too bothered about the effect on the flight dynamics, I was just pointing out that as the only real difference between the Westland built HAS.1 and HAR.2 and the Sikorsky built HAS.22.
There was not any significant effect on the real one so I don't think its too important for this one!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Michael,

Tks for the HU on the FD revisions :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Michael davies
Trident
Trident

Post by Michael davies »

Your welcome, with your blessings l'll drop a note here when the Seakings are done, the Merlin and Seaking are not official Alphasim updates, Phil may add them to new sales but so far there on my FTP for all to collect or discard as they choose. However the technology will be input into new projects from hence forth.

The Lynx is not my model or FDE but if there is demand l can look at that too ( if original author permission granted ), though l believe the engine set up is a little more complex with dual engines and start stop sounds ?, a model l've not yet had the good grace to try so l'm shooting in the dark a little on them.

Best

Michael
DaveB wrote:Hi Michael,

Tks for the HU on the FD revisions :wink:

ATB

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Sounds cool Michael.. post when ready :wink:

ATB

ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

fsafranek
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by fsafranek »

jamesstables wrote:The HAR.2 isn't listed as being in the alphasim one though, only the HAS.22 out of the british versions, which were the original batch of sikosky built ones and were only used by the navy.
My references were quite limited so the HAS.22 was the one I had the most information for. If someone can provide reference on the HAS.1 or HAR.2 perhaps I can add it to the mix or make it available for download the same or next day. I've seen black and white photos of them during the Suez Crisis but not enough to feel good about painting one. A complete camo pattern, markings and color notes would be ideal. Thank you in advance. <mailto:[email protected]>
Frank Safranek (Alphasim Paint Crew)
Mirage Aircraft for Flight Simulator
http://www.mirage4fs.com/

jamesstables
Comet
Comet

Post by jamesstables »

Well theres only 3 HAS.1's (one of which is a cockpit section). Luckily we have two of them (ones the cockpit) and the complete one is arguably the best example of a HAS.1.

Theres a fairly extensive gallery at our website http://www.helicopter-preservation-yhpg.org.uk from the post restoration roll out.

I go home from uni for easter next friday (30th) so I can get any other photos you want. And I'm pretty sure we will have a few colour photos of other HAS.1's and HAR.2's in the archive. I'm pretty certain I've seen colour ones of ours in Malaya and other places before it went to the south atlantic.

fsafranek
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by fsafranek »

Thanks James. I asked around elsewhere also and have some good references on the camo pattern now as well as a link to a website (http://www.fight4thepjm.org/memories_po ... ooke_2.htm) with a couple color pictures of the chopper in Malaya with earth and green camo. I'll be doing XJ421 as assigned to the 155th. I don't know if Phil will add it to the mix or not but it will be available from avsim right away if not.

I would be interested in seeing what you might have as well. I'm not sure of the release date but I usually get to see the final MDLs before release to make sure my textures still fit and that hasn't happened yet. But Phil moves very quickly sometimes.
Frank Safranek (Alphasim Paint Crew)
Mirage Aircraft for Flight Simulator
http://www.mirage4fs.com/