terrain.dll problems.

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

migman29
Trident
Trident

terrain.dll problems.

Post by migman29 »

I'm over at cousin's place and he's having terrain dll trouble.

He's only been on Fs9 since Christmas and has installed all the UK scenery he can get his paws on and suddenly he's getting trouble.

Sometimes he can fly for an hour,sometimes a few mins,sometimes while he's still on the runway or sometimes before he's even loaded up his flight
he gets a crash to desktop and a"FlightSim has had to close,report the problem to Microsoft" message.

He reckons he's done that about 6 times already and d/led the "fix",Fs9 update but it hasn't worked obviously.

Has anyone any ideas?.Something is obviously upsetting this "terrain.dll"thingy,but what?

Miggers :-({|=
You could see him thinking "Bleedin'pilots,don't know nuffin.All glammer" He's probably right.

A/C.2 Webber,Manston,1941,First Light by Geoff Wellum.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Miggers, although not a techie by any standards but having read your post you say that your friend had installed all types of sceneries and then downloaded the fs9 fix.

Could be wrong but there is a warning about installing the fs9 fix on top of any add-ons:

NOTE: Previously installed the 3rd party add-on software for Flight Simulator may not work. If any action (such as re-installing the 3rd party add-on software) causes an overwrite of the updated module .dll file, you will lose significant fixes included in the Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight (update).

Could this be the problem? If so it may be best for him to reinstall FS9 then the fs9 patch before installing any add-ons.

Alternatively go here:
http://support.microsoft.com/flightsim2004faq

Hope this helps.

Regards Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

migman29
Trident
Trident

Post by migman29 »

Hi Nigel.

When I installed it for him I d/led the no cd patch and the Fs9 update and installed them before we installed any add-ons.

This has only started since he downloaded most of the freeware scenery he could get.

Each time he's had the error message he's d/l the Fs9 update patch and re-installed it.

I know the only scenery he's installed from disc is Just Flight's Midlands and Wales airports,all the rest have come from the 'net.

How does starting in safe mode work?I mean is there a screen that you can go onto once you've started to run some diagnostics?

Mark :-({|=
You could see him thinking "Bleedin'pilots,don't know nuffin.All glammer" He's probably right.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

How does starting in safe mode work?I mean is there a screen that you can go onto once you've started to run some diagnostics?
Oh heck Mark, this is going into unknown territory for me, hopefully one of the techie gurus may just come along soon and help you with this one.

Sorry, really like to help but it would just be guess work!! :dunno:

Regards Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

alan cottrill
Lightning
Lightning

Post by alan cottrill »

migman29.
I had the same problem,fire up fs9,goto settings\scenery files.
de select the just flights vol 5 scenery,it shows as west,also de select the afcad scenery for this.
you will be asked to restart your fs9 due scenery change,this should cure the problem.
regards alan. :smile:

migman29
Trident
Trident

Post by migman29 »

Thanks for that Alan.

Do you not then lose the JF scenery though?

Cuz would be most peeved if he can't fly out of Shawbury,Ternhill or Cosford.

He likes Ternhill because when he was in the ATC he did his glider flying from there.

Mark :-({|=

JamMAN
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by JamMAN »

If you deselect a scenery in scenery files you would lose it I'm afraid.

You could try changing the priorties of the scenery thats causing problems perhaps move it to the top of the list or down to see if it makes any changes - I've never had this problem but these are just things I would mess with before doing a fresh install of FS :(

Good luck!

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Must correct here....you don't loose it as in uninstall, you loose the add-on scenery it from the current session of FS9 and revert to the default. If you want the add-on back just select it again and restart FS9.

a terrain.dll failure most likely occurs when you have duplicate AFCADs or otherwise double configurations.

So if you have installed "a lot" you have most likely not followed the install procedures in the readme's or the readme's hasn't been precise enough in order to tell you what to overwrite etc.

Only install one thing at a time....always. than back-up and got to the next..... you could spend more time finding the culprit instead of doing a fresh install of FS9 I'm afraid.
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

alan cottrill
Lightning
Lightning

Post by alan cottrill »

migman.
Yes you lose the scenery that is on that disc,i complained to just flight over this,but never got an answer,there is a missmatch somewhere in the programe,and they should have addressed this problem,i got this disc for manchester scenery,but thankfully i have manchester via another piece of scenery now.
I ended up loseing the whole of my sim,and i did a reinstall,one programe at a time,until i found the culprit,and i have a lot of add ons,it took me a month to get everything reinstalled and tested,so i was not best pleased.
Just as well i had all my settings,written down in a book,i.e. key selections,joystick settings,ect,ect.
regards alan :smile:

JamMAN
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by JamMAN »

DanKH wrote:Must correct here....you don't loose it as in uninstall, you loose the add-on scenery it from the current session of FS9 and revert to the default. If you want the add-on back just select it again and restart FS9.
Thanks for correcting me there, I should have added he could re-select it to bring it back afterwards.

Using this deselection method they could disable all the addon files they have installed and then just re-select one by one to nail the scenery thats causing the problem? would that take out problem AFCAD files as well?
I know this would take a long time but if your FS build is anything like mine it takes a long time to re-install FS with all the addon's I have ! :smile: