FSX again.....

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

FSX again.....

Post by Chris Sykes »

Just for a change decided to have a flight in FSX.... :tuttut: BAD IDEA!!! just reminded me why i dont use FSX....

1, Cr*p scenery mesh, Sorry but WTF was M$ thinking when they did the mesh??? how can we fly over water when its as hilly as the land???

2, Cr*p scenery textures, argh im getting 15/30 FPS in a heli and the scenery just doesnt look nice!!! This is with the first setting of autogen on.

3, Boats from in ports (for instance the Portsmouth high rise with the Ark royal at Southampton) cannot get moving or just jig about as if they cant move due to the hillyness of the water!!!

Sorry for a rant and yes i can see the potential in FSX but did M$ just take off once and never looked down or did they expect us to fork out more £££ for mesh and scenery??? Isnt that just like buying a new car with no engine??? TBH the only reason i have FSX now using up HD space is for Beta testing!!!

BTW did anyone notice how the Vista background looks just like the presention video on "how" FSX and DX10 will look???

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

I love a lot of features of FSX, particularly the sensation of flight and the new views. However I've had to shelve it for the time being as my one major gripe is with the autogen; even with everything maxed and good fps it "pops up" from nowhere in a manner that is mind numbingly depressing to watch. You can see full autogen for about 10 miles, then everything past that is devoid of features, there is no gradual blending of the detail.

Oh, and the default airfields are far worse in FSX, so many of them are sat on plinths in the middle of nowhere or surrounded by high cliffs.

I think there is a lot of promise in FSX but it was clearly released early and needs another 12 months to mature.

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

Hi chris, Yep default airfields are Cr*p, im currently reading up on fourm post on the SP1 over at simflight, and guess what they arent including??? Yep fixed mesh!!! Argh :dunno:

EDIT: Just readin the PTaylors blag and he says something about the landclass being inc in SP1 but also says on simflight that its not inc....

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Funny I was having this chat the other night, and we were saying if you actually compair it to a virgin FS9 it is a lot better. You must remember that FS9 is very tuned now (given that its been out for 3 years. :wink:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

basys
VC10
VC10

Post by basys »

Hi Folks

Chris -
What aspects of the mesh need fixing ?
Or is it you'd like a better mesh for somewhere ?

If you're talking about ridges in water,
they're nothing to do with mesh.

HTH
ATB
Paul
I've never felt so frustrated....... died so frequently/spectacularly/or needlessly....... yet had so much fun, in a long time.
Flight's Landing Challenges - Earn your wings !

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

Yeah sorry its the landclass, Read the EDIT; ...... part of my last post... BTW Off topic hows the FSX North Sea Rigs going???

basys
VC10
VC10

Post by basys »

Hi Folks

Chris -
No worries,
thought you'd discovered some new mesh problem :smile:

re: FSX rigs
We have an workaround for user piloted a/c,
which hopefully will be beta'd shortly.

AI choppers are another matter.

ATB
Paul
I've never felt so frustrated....... died so frequently/spectacularly/or needlessly....... yet had so much fun, in a long time.
Flight's Landing Challenges - Earn your wings !

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

Thanks for the HU.... LOL have you seen the humber bridge in FSX??? Yuck tis horrid

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

I am glad I sold my copy of FSX Shyte ... it just needs too much time to get right not good for an out of the box product :huf:

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

oh blimey.

it's another series of Grumpy old Men on CBFS :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love FSX but took the time to read all the tuning guides before i condemned it as crap.

FS9 looks crap to me now and i am pretty happy with FSX as it is before the SP1 patch.

Regards
Rick