Query on Control Devices.

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Query on Control Devices.

Post by Tomliner »

I was just wondering how many of you who have both control yokes and joysticks try to use the correct device to match the aircraft which you are flying e.g.joystick for Chipmunk etc and yoke for 1-11 and so on.Or perhaps,like me you consider it too much trouble chopping and changing.Best Wishes EricT.
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I try and use the appropriate control device when possible Eric though I don't go through all the rigmarole of setting them up all differently :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi,

My Saitek X45 is plugged in all the time, as are my CH pedals. My CH yoke gets plugged in and attached to the desk when I need it to fly. I mostly use the yoke with the Saitek throttle unit and the joystick just sits around happily waiting to be used. The hat switch on the yoke is a bit iffy sometimes in fwd/right view so I sometimes use the Saitek joystick hat switch if needed. All devices happily reside alongside each other plugged in. I've been using the Saitek joystick recently testing the Wessex on FlyNET, wouldn't dream of using the yoke with a helo.

Rgds

John

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I just have my trusty old Microsoft Joystick and use the pedals from my Logitech Wingman for the rudders and keep the settings all the same.

I have noticed one thing, when flying the Dove it requires a lot more rudder input than other aircraft, has any-one else noticed that?
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

snave

Post by snave »

One of the advantages of USB devices is that each device has a unique identifier, so you can happily plug and unplug them without needing to set them up every time.

To be absolutely sure, I use the same USB port for each device every time (weach USB port has an identifier too). You can find these identifiers in the FS*.cfg file. So in my hub I always plug the stick top left, the yoke bottom right etc. etc.

The only thing that is a little suspect is having more than one device plugged in for the same control surface - the computer has no way of knowing which is the `leading` device and you can get spurious control inputs. Just unplug the device from the USB port and the problem is solved.

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Many thanks for your replies gents.I normally use my CH yoke and pedals although I also have a Microsoft Sidewinder joystick.Part ofthe reason for not changing from yoke to joystick is limited space on my desktop to keep both devices to hand,but I have to say that flying the Chippie using the yolk doesn't feel right.Copy your comments re USB devices Simon.Thanks guys,helpful advice as usual on this forum and all I seem to do in return is to post some appalling jokes.That reminds me-there was this guy walks into a bar-----,well maybe another time.Best Wishes EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Tomliner wrote:Many thanks for your replies gents.I normally use my CH yoke and pedals although I also have a Microsoft Sidewinder joystick.Part ofthe reason for not changing from yoke to joystick is limited space on my desktop to keep both devices to hand,but I have to say that flying the Chippie using the yolk doesn't feel right.Copy your comments re USB devices Simon.Thanks guys,helpful advice as usual on this forum and all I seem to do in return is to post some appalling jokes.That reminds me-there was this guy walks into a bar-----,well maybe another time.Best Wishes EricT

Well if the CH is such an appalling yoke, I'll stick to my Saitek.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Paul,

It's not appalling to be honest.. quite the opposite. For those used to using a stick for everything, the CH Yoke is a step into a totally different flying experience and when used with the CH Pedals.. completes that experience. It is markedly slower in operation than a stick for some aircraft but this is as it should be. Fly one of DM's aircraft or DelP's Dove or Rick's big prop airliners and it feels just right. By comparison, flying the same aircraft with a stick is so off the mark, you don't realise it until you try flying one with a stick again after a long layoff. However, they are just not suited to aircraft like the Chippie or even one of the default Helicopters. It is very much a case of horses for courses :wink:

Once you have a yoke.. the temptation is there to throw your old stick into some dark corner never to be used again. That would be folly :poke: Use them both and where appropriate to get the best out of your flightsim experience :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Dave, it was me making one of those dreadful puns. Tom talked about appalling jokes...yokes...jokes. Its like a Carry On film round here lately. :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, what you say very much echoes what a friend on another forum has been saying, and I'm starting to wonder whether I should get one. I have a Saitek X52, which is particularly good for something like Falcon 4: Allied Force, where you need a multitude of functions mapped to the throttle and stick. I can't fault the Saitek for its programmability.

However, with the notable exception of planes like Rick's Chipmunk and Meteor, Dave G's Hunter, and Ed Walter's Spitfire, I really prefer the large multi-engine stuff. In fact, I spend more time with FS9 'heavies' than I do with any other sim. And with that sort of flying, you don't need the facility to map a lot of functions to the buttons. Right now I am enjoying FS9 more than ever, what with the California Classics' Commando and Alphasim's Catalina and Hampden, so maybe its time for a yoke.

Thanks for the info, Dave, you might well have finally convinced me. :wink:

airboatr

Post by airboatr »

X52 stick and throttle
an I use peddles from my Nascar ProForce Feedback steering
controller
maybe some day I will add the Pro jobs Like Dave B Mentioned

untill then it's BAC 1-11's on the wing tip, at command
................and I mean like now :wink: