Timewatch - 2100H/Friday 13th Apr - BBC2

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

crisso
Viscount
Viscount

Timewatch - 2100H/Friday 13th Apr - BBC2

Post by crisso »

Tonight's Timewatch programme is about the hi-jacking of a BOAC flight in 1970 - presume it's the VC10 that ended up at Dawson's Field? May see some interesting archive footage and reconstructions?

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris558 »

'tis indeed, I'm watching now...

Callum
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Callum »

Me too. I laughed my head off when one of the hostages said that when the captain gave a statement, "he looked like a chap who'd been interrupted mowing the lawn". Hahaha!

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Good shout, Crisso!

An excellent and informative program with an added human element.
Some wondeful (and Awful :crying: ) footage of the VC-10.
Glad everyone got home OK.

Regards

Kevin

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

What I should like to know is whether the revolting terrorists got paid for their input to the programme?

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

revolting terrorists
It may be the mists of nostalgia affecting me, but I cannot help think that those terrorist from that era had a small element of cause and humanity, unlike the current fanatics who carry out 21st century terrorism :think:
ATB Trev

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Calypsos - I think this is a different issue - one view ( and I subscribe to it) is that the Palestinians have always had just cause for feeling that they were appallingly treated. That, however, does not excuse the acts which involve innocent people who are completely unconnected with the grievance or the cause thereof . I just do not feel that allowing them to appear on television is right - would we have extended similar courtesies to Hitler?

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

calypsos wrote:
revolting terrorists
It may be the mists of nostalgia affecting me, but I cannot help think that those terrorist from that era had a small element of cause and humanity, unlike the current fanatics who carry out 21st century terrorism :think:
Whilst one can never condone terrorist actions, I did think something similar myself; Leila Khaled certainly came across as more educated and dedicated to something she believed for a reason - rightly or wrongly - than the brainwashed idiots who perform these acts today. Bottom line though, there are other ways of making your case in this world and hijacking airliners and holding civilians hostage isnt the way to do it. :huf:

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

If the World had not felt such deep shame over the Holocaust, would they have turned a blind eye to the outrageous Jewish invasion of Palestine? Their authority to grab Palestine was a biblical reference to the land having been promised to them by their god.

Britain was supposed to be managing Palestine and protecting the Palestinian people but under extreme pressure from violent Jewish terrorists they armed the Palestinians, pulled out and left them to their fate. The Jewish terrorist who was responsible for the destruction of the British Army headquarters in Jerusalem, Menachim Begin, was later recognised as head of the (illegal) State of Israel by most of the civilised World. The Palestinians who chose not to live under the invaders had to flee their homes and live in refugee camps and still do. If the countries that shelter them were to integrate them into their society that would recognise Israel's right to exist in that they were no longer a displaced people.

You could argue that these people are more innocent and aggrieved than the citizens of those countries who allowed Palestine to be invaded. If my country was invaded and I had to raise my family in the refugee camps of Gaza and the Lebanon I hope I might fight as desperately as Leila Khaled for recognition of my plight.

Don't forget that civilisation generally recognises a successful terrorist campaign by rewarding the leader with state leadership to keep him quiet. Yasser Arafat, Nelson Mandela, George Washington, Robert Mugabe, Jomo Kenyatta, Gerry Adams and many, many more.

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

They shouldn't have done that to G-ASGN though - that was unforgiveable. As the Heath government thought that dealing with hostage takers was such a good idea, they should have traded a couple of 707s for its release.

Ian