Abacus EZ-Scenery

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

:redface: Sorry about that guys. I hadn't tried the demo myself, but I had heard good things about it on other sites.
Dave G.

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

Hi Guys,

EZ Scenery is cheap and easy..IMO no need to fiddle with anything else..until something better comes along..

ATB,

Derek :dunno: :lol:
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hey DG.. no problem mate :wink:

It IS remarkably easy to use (it has to be if I can use it) and if you're lucky enough not to get these error messages.. it looks like a blinding bit of kit. I certainly didn't expect an error during the install (though the program did load in FS) and I've no idea why it spit FSim out. Having said that.. the building I'd placed a few miles away from Tacoma was there so something must have worked :lol: I don't go for this sort of unpredicability though so I've consigned it to the bin. Again, as Peter said.. it does look very much like a rip-off of EZ-Scenery and even though I don't have FSX on the system I tried it on.. it could be this tweek that has naffed it up a bit :think: Needless to say, the building I placed was in FS9 and if it's gonna kick-up in that.. it's native sim.. it doesn't bode well for anything else :roll:

Go for EZ-Scenery Soggy if you haven't done so already :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

soggy
Comet
Comet

Post by soggy »

Peter,

You were well in time,It will be wednesday at the earliest when i part with any money. :smile:

Thanks for all the pointers lads,EZ - scenery it is then.

Pete.

If United were playing in my garden,I would close the curtains.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

soggy wrote: You were well in time
Well, that's a relief :smile:

I use EZ Scenery a lot these days, but I must admit that I decompile the resulting .bgl file and then doctor the code a bit before recompiling with the title I want.

This is a bit "advanced class" Pete, so don't worry about it but you will eventually need a piece of Freeware called BGLX...This decompiles a .bgl file into its XML code, which you can convert to plain text by simply renaming the "...XML" file to "...txt". This text can then be edited in NotePad and later recompiled back to a .bgl file using the BGLCOMP program in the FS9 SDK. One note of warning to BGLX users...It destroys Refuelling Triggers :shock:

Finally, if you don't already have it, you must get Ttools for the construction and testing of Traffic at your new airport...you can do this before you have any buildings planted and it will prove your AFCAD file. Certain things are very necessary for Traffic to work and a lot of it depends on your placing of "Hold Short" nodes. Traffic must NOT be able to escape from a runway they have landed on without passing a "Hold Short" node...This makes them call "Clear of Runway" and without that call, nobody else will land". You can also control the taxy speed, as they near their parking slot, by placing extra blue nodes close together where you want them to be slow enough to not overshoot the turn onto stand and line up properly.

Finally, finally! download and run once the freeware program "FS9 Configurator"...just use it to set the Taxy and Runway speeds to the Maximum Recommended and leave it at that...Don't use the program for anything else.

If in doubt about any of these things...Just ask :smile:

Mickey D
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Mickey D »

Just a word here. Instant Scenery is not a "rip off" or "pirated copy" of EZ-Scenery. Both are written by Konstantin Kukushkin. KK has now moved over, for whatever reason, to Flight1 to market his programs.
Instant Scenery will continue to be developed EZ- Scenery won't.

I have both and although there are a few "quirks" with Instant Scenery it has the potential to be far superior to EZ_Scenery.

Object scenery density can now be set with a roll button. No need now to use BGLX to alter it and it's for both sims.
Go for Instant Scenery Pete.
Mickey D
Team SDB Scenery Bloke

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

That's great MD but how would you explain the errors?? The load of Fsim9.1 on this pc is as stable as something more stable than stable so might it be my fault all along :roll: Perhaps this is what you describe as a 'quirk' :think:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

I run both programs on my machine and Instant Scenery will not see 75% of the libraries that EZ Scenery offers me...How do you explain that, other than a huge bug. How do you explain the fact that when I save a completed bgl in Instant Scenery, it complains that the folder where I'm saving it is "not active", when it is this folder:-

F:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Addon Scenery\McLeland Field\scenery

This is a folder that is permanently active on my system as people here would know.

Naturally, I ignored the complaint and as reported the objects showed normally.

How do you explain that the manual urges you to check for updates and tells you where to find it...then when you go there it does not exist.

Finally, why isn't the product properly tested before release?...It is bug ridden and as a user of both programs I again urge Pete and anyone else NOT to buy Instant Scenery till it is sorted out. I find it utterly useless on my system when EZ Scenery with the same User Interface is offering me thousands more objects to use...Instant Scenery is only looking with one eye :lol:

Mickey D
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Mickey D »

We use whatever we are comfortable with Peter. :smile: Since I mostly create my ownscenery objects and libraries which are compatible with both sims I find Instant Scenery ideal for adding "eye candy" in FSX since I can now access far more library objects in FSX than are available in FS9.

The "quirks" seem to be mainly with the FSX version. but only with scenery files you created in FS9. This is mentioned in the manual.

Files created in FSX for FSX have no problems. Instant Scenery works fine in FS9, as it should since it's an enhanced EZ-Scenery. So for 25 USD you get a dual sim utility that will be supported with patches and upgrades in the future.

BTW I'm not in the "employ" of KK. I just feel he's a very talented guy who has done so much for the FS community over the years and rather than knock his work because there are a few teething troubles we should be supporting him. With cash.

Having been involved with the FSX Beta program I can tell you it's a minefield and it's amazing that we are getting utilities so soon after release.

Thanks KK :welldone:

I'll get me coat!
Mickey D
Team SDB Scenery Bloke

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Mickey D wrote:Files created in FSX for FSX have no problems. Instant Scenery works fine in FS9, as it should since it's an enhanced EZ-Scenery. So for 25 USD you get a dual sim utility that will be supported with patches and upgrades in the future.
Having been involved with the FSX Beta program I can tell you it's a minefield and it's amazing that we are getting utilities so soon after release.
Mickey,

My point is that it does NOT work fine in FS9...It only sees a fraction of the objects that EZ Scenery sees.

EZ Scenery needs no patches for FS9 as it works perfectly now.

I dislike FSX so much that I don't go there anymore and have not bothered to install SP1 betas. I feel I can no longer test something so inferior to my version of FS9 with all the fabulous scenery and aircraft that I have added to it...as you say each to his own. I will stick with FS9 which I enjoy very much. Instant Scenery is obviously NOT a dual sim utility as it does not function correctly in FS9 and my advice to anyone using FS9 is to go for EZ Scenery which DOES work properly :smile: