NAV 2007

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Seaking
VC10
VC10

NAV 2007

Post by Seaking »

Is anyone running Norton Anitvirus 2007 please, I'll wait to see if anyone is before I ask my question on a problem I have.

Thanks

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

TBH Seaking

The advice always seems to be don't run Nortons :think:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Seaking
VC10
VC10

Post by Seaking »

Hi Gary

Been running NAV for about 8 years with never a prob, then something happend on my 2005 that I couldn't figure out, got 2007, still same prob.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

TBH

Both my PC's came already fitted with Nortons and personally I have not had a problem.

Either I was lucky or it's failings are in areas beyond my relative basic use use of the system.

The dealers do not rate it well and when I asked them why then they sell it, they tell me it's a deal on new PCs and stocked on the shelves because people come in and ask for it.......... probably because that's the only name they know.

But the fact remains that when seeking advice from those that do know they will suggest just about everything bar that.

I am unable though to give any sort of technical reason........just what I have been told as a user.

BTW I've moved this to Developers Corner/Hardware although in a way it's payware it might get better attention/ answers .

Garry
Garry

Seaking
VC10
VC10

Post by Seaking »

My problem is......

For some reason my NAV 2005 started saying my protection updates were not up to date, but they were !! I didn't know whether this was a fluke but nothing I did got rid of this.

Thought it was time I updated so went and got NAV 2007, still have the same prob, I see the date (in red) as of yesterday 14th. Scans run no problem, I received the updates no problem, but in the settings it keeps saying "protection updates need updating"

I am still scouring all the sites I can find, nothing yet. I don't know if something somewhere has altered a reg entry, I've checked all the services related to it.

I have already removed it, in safe mode ran all the usual progs to find any issues,,,,,,,there are none. So at the moment I'm a little stumped.

I guess it's one of those simple things to fix, you just have to know where to find it.

Back to the registry I go lol.

Any help from any tech gurus out there is appreciated.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I did once have a similar thing that went on to Nortons failing to scan.

It was caused by a virus that disabled Nortons.

I got rid of it with another anti virus programme.

Maybe nothing........but a thought. :think:

Garry
Garry

Seaking
VC10
VC10

Post by Seaking »

I am seeing something about a file called Oreans32.sys

On one site it says it's a needed systems file for winxp, thing is that file is not in my system32/drivers folder ?? however I do have some reg entries for oreans32.........in one of my event viewers there was an error in there stating the oreans32 failed to load.

I'm still researching it, to me though, if that file is not in my system drivers folder, why do I have reg entries for it.............I just love a mission on a Sunday morning lol

hinch
VC10
VC10

Post by hinch »

i had this problem when i had norton. As mentioned above it was caused by a virus meaning if i wanted to update i had to do it manually through norton's not exactly 'intuitive' website...

there is a download fix specific for this problem (again as above) but although it did remove the naughty file Norton was still b@ggered.

not of any help, but you're not alone!

/now runs NOD32...the ninja AV

05pricej
Viscount
Viscount

Post by 05pricej »

i run norton 2007 but am looking into changing to AVG when it expires.

Never had any problems with it though. Its just plain slow.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I use AVG free and it seem fine.

Yes they said it was discontinued as of 15 Jan then 15 Feb...but afterwards another free version was availiable.

Garry
Garry