Alpha Whirlwind released....but!

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Alpha Whirlwind released....but!

Post by Trev Clark »

I need help!
I have been looking forward to this for weeks, however now I look at her and something is just not quite right, but I cannot put my finger on it :think: 14 quid is also a bit steep, if I have doubts, I would welcome some comments here...........

More shots here
http://www.alphasim.co.uk/index2.html
ATB Trev

jamesstables
Comet
Comet

Post by jamesstables »

The exterior looks pretty good but the cockpit is completely wrong as far as I can see.

sketchy74
Vulcan
Vulcan
Location: Los Angeles, California, But an ExPat Brit from Cornwall

Post by sketchy74 »

Were there not more vertical lines on the front facing cockpit windows?

Other than that what are your thoughts, nice model?

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I think those verticals are right for the Whirlind

You may be thinking of the Wessex. :think:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

sketchy74
Vulcan
Vulcan
Location: Los Angeles, California, But an ExPat Brit from Cornwall

Post by sketchy74 »

Hmm perhaps you are right but I think they were not full on structural panels lines.

Looking at the interior image again it looks like it is a little too "flat" in that view, the canopy was quite rounded.

jamesstables
Comet
Comet

Post by jamesstables »

Sketchy is right there were more bars coming down behind the windscreen.

There doesn't seem much wrong externally, its the VC which looks nothing like the real thing, even down to the colour (as far as I know ours is pretty much standard and is all black). That can be sorted but there are too many others for me to want to buy it:
-the collectives are wrong
-the cyclic doesn't look right
-the centre console isn't right (those levers look more like turbine ones and the rotor brake handle is missing)
-no co-pilot/navigator/etc instruments
-pilot instrument layout is wrong
-no strip of switches (lights etc) along bottom of panel along top of centre console

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/michaelfit ... 300082.JPG

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/michaelfit ... 300083.JPG

d0mokun
Trident
Trident

Post by d0mokun »

Ah.. is the S-55 very different from the Whirlwind then?

The photos I've seen of the S-55 match Phil's VC very well.. so..

mhmm.

Dan.

jamesstables
Comet
Comet

Post by jamesstables »

As far as I know the S-55 was very similar to early whirlwinds but as with all aircraft I suppose the exact layout varied with the different operators.

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

I guess from the photos that James has linked to on the Simshed forum on this beastie, the extra weight that was talked about on the Whirlwind, might have been down to extra instrumentation! I cannot find any photos of anything like this model, but I would also assume one of the hobbies formost panel experts (Phil), has more information than me on this. The Brit spec must have called for dual instruments in a standard pattern, James also has issues with some other items, but as he has a 'pet' Whirlwind in Yorkshire, I left mine http://www.tangmere-museum.org.uk/media ... lwind.html back in the UK.
ATB Trev

Michael davies
Trident
Trident

Post by Michael davies »

I think the basic mistake was to add a British variant in the pack, the model is based on the US S-55 as far as l know.

As for panels, l think theres probably very few a like, l've already seen three different versions touted around, so.....which one do you add ?, which ever one you add will be wrong for a generic pack l'm afraid.

The only other option is to make specific models for each individual variant and then alter the VCs and panels to suit, and we all know that is not going to happen dont we.

Theres actually two types of windscreen, those with reinforcing bars and those with out, though, those with out have quarter lights as far as l can see, there may have been later large widow variants with out reinforcing bars, l dunno, some one with more time and energy will have to chase that one down.

As l said at the begining, leave the British one out and its a fair representation of a US S-55, l dont think the model is wrong, just a poor choice of textures, and thats not Franks fault.....because someone somewhere would have painted it and being as it would have been 3rd party all would have been fine and forgiven, but because it shipped with it then its a major fubar.

Best

Michael