Lufthansa Freight flights

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

St.Paddy
Meteor
Meteor

Lufthansa Freight flights

Post by St.Paddy »

Hi all

A question for you..

When did DLH cease using Capitol C-46's on its' cargo flights.

Any regs of aircraft used? - from memory I seem to remember N68566 - but am probably wrong :roll:

On a different tack - I hope you have all seen Richard Wrights excellent 1966 flightplans for foreign airlines on the RetroAI website - go get 'em - I am not doing any but may attempt to become another (Gary Russell) - well, not THAT good!

ATB

Tim

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Tim

Nice to see you around :smile:

Capitol

Hard to say

This is a copy from one of Ian Hinds posts when it came up recently on another thread

Dates he logged at LHR....hopefully he will be along later and can add to this

N66326 Sept 1964
N1312V Jan 65
N5076N Sept 64
N68966 April 65
N7923C Sept 65

N9890Z March 64
N9891Z ???
N9892Z April 64
N9893Z Sept 65

It would appear N9891Z was in Lufthansa livery

I don't know a lot about them myself......never seen one :sad:

But maybe this will give you a base to start research in the meantime.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

St.Paddy
Meteor
Meteor

Post by St.Paddy »

Hi Garry,

Knew you would be quick off the mark :smile:

Yes, I can remember them now - N9890Z through '2Z and N68966 was the one I was thinking of - not too bad for 42 years. I never saw saw N5075N but saw all the others. '91Z was the only one painted up that I can remember.

In 1967 all DLH freight flights were operated by B727-30QC's - according to my sources - but I cannot remember whether I actually saw any of them parked in the cargo terminal at LHR - all I remember is Commandos! :dunno:

Tim

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Glad that helped Tim

All I had was intermittent memories of mentions in books and that great list from Ian given above.

Sometime all it needs is a little jog :lol:

My first visit to LHR was a day trip by BEA Viscount (G-AOHJ) in 1974 and another one a few weeks later in G-AOHH.

By that time the freight was pretty much all jet and in fact The BEA Merchantmen were the only freight props there on the days I went.

Pan Am 707C, Seaboard DC 8F, Air Canada DC8F, Lufthansa 727QC...spring to mind :think:

Garry
Garry

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Blimey Garry

Sorted before I even read this thread :lol:

Those were the dates that I first saw each individual C-46. So I don't know the duration of service of each one.

With time one learns that noting each time they were seen would have been useful. :think:

And Lufthansa Boeing 727-30C:

D-ABIU 7 June 1967
D-ABIW 7 June 1967
D-ABIX 23 June 1967
D-ABIY 19 June 1967
D-ABIZ 6 June 1967

June 1967 seems to be their introduction!

All based on the spotting logs of my youth which over the years I have been trying to put on computer, but still not complete.

These days the logs are rarely added to, but are a useful large dataset to plug into a database. And they are now coming into their own as a source of info for my photo scanning.

Ian

St.Paddy
Meteor
Meteor

Post by St.Paddy »

Thanks Garry

So you missed the Kar-Air DC-6B then????? :lol:

...I didn't :lol: :lol:

..there again I s'pose you weren't there at midnight! :sleepy:

Thanks too to you Ian. I assume those were your first dates for the '30C's? I think the C-46's were around for several years off and on but might be wrong.

There was also a Sabena Dak that used to call in on occasion and it was a 'favourite skive' at night for some LHR bobbies I am led to believe - until it got fogged in at Antwerp :doh:

Three coppers - in uniform and with no francs, no passports, no permission to be there - and no way of getting back to book off shift :tuttut:

BTW If anyone needs info for Scotland - I now have all issues of SCAN post 1965 so fire away!! Fascinating reading :smile:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Tim

It didn't go there on those days....well not while I was there.

I did see it once at our local when Kar Air first had it...about 1966 or something like that

I was staying with family in Putney when I heard it go out about 0500 in 1981 not long before it finished. :tunes:

Garry
Garry

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Yes they were my first sightings of the 727-30Cs - all very close together.

Sabena Daks and Kar Air DC-6 (OH-KDA/B/C) were all 1964/65 first sightings for me.

Ian

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

When I went in 1981 SABENA freight flight were operated at night by BIA Heralds. :sad:

IN later years I saw the CL-44-O there a few times but it never moved whilst I was there :sad: :sad:

Garry
Garry

St.Paddy
Meteor
Meteor

Post by St.Paddy »

Hi all,

A Kar-Air DC-6 was still operating a freight flight through LHR at night in 1977. I used to see it fairly regularly when I worked night shift - and hear it coming across the OM when I lived in Heston! I can't remember when it finished but it was sometime in the early '80's.

Sabena C-47's were a thing of the past by 1977 but the odd Fred Olsen flight turned up.

In the '60's there was also an early morning Aer Lingus Carvair departure which, if the winds were easterly, most of London must have heard!

...those were the days!

Cheers

Tim