Need a new PC...

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Need a new PC...

Post by TobyV »

In the past I have always bought all the parts myself the reason being then I know exactly whats inside the box. However I am not totally convinced that this guarantees quality and I'm quite lazy and need a new computer pronto-ish.

Have a had a look on the Dell website on the basis most of the places I have studied or worked at in the last 3 years seem to be heading that direction. Are they any good and is there anyone else I should consider?

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

They are cheap and not bad. They use intel reference board designs so not suitable for overclocking etc, but they do the job. Just remember that you'll need to order a proper graphics card with it as most come with an onboard intel card. Also be aware that dell no longer ship restore CD/DVD's as they have an image of the build on another partition on the disk, therefore if you order a 250 GB drive, sever GB are used by this partition. Its horses for courses though mate, and if you had the time / inclination it would be better to make one from parts. :smile:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

If I were to go down the parts route, what CPUs are currently best? I dont bother keeping up with the latest and greatest except when I am looking to buy! And would it be better to get Windows Vista or XP (or will that qn spark a healthy debate? :lol: )?

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

O/S wise I'd stick to XP for the moment Toby. Far too many problems still coming up on Vista for me to be comfortable with it at the moment.

AndyG

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Not sure what the current Dells are like, but in the past upgrading was not always possible (a bit like a laptop). If that is still the situation, make sure you buy the spec that you really want now.

Ian

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

ianhind wrote:Not sure what the current Dells are like, but in the past upgrading was not always possible (a bit like a laptop). If that is still the situation, make sure you buy the spec that you really want now.

Ian
My parents picked up a Dell last year, I've already added a HD and worked out what else needs sorting. So, they seem to be upgradable at the moment.

AndyG

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Definately the Intels Toby. :smile:

ImageImageImage

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

So, they seem to be upgradable at the moment.
I was referring more to the earlier models where there was no AGP on the motherboard. And the motherboards were not standard with a riser card to provide PCI slots. So the case was of little use when a new motherboard was the upgrade path.

It may all be different now.

And further to the CPU, the E6600 has been suggested before IIRC because of the size of the onboard cache (4Mb L2). And this month's PCPro has done a mega-comparison of CPUs. They placed the E6600 as best at the higher end of the scale (leaving out the extremes that Ben goes for!).

I keep putting off upgrading because of the investment in current hardware but the forthcoming E6320 and E6420 Core 2 with the larger cache might just persuade me if they come in at the E6300/6400 price.

Not much use to you if you want to buy now though.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

:lol:

I only went for the top one as it will have to do me 4 years. The last machine I had was a P4 3.06 which was the fastest i could afford at the time and it still works well.

ImageImageImage

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Dell's "customer service" is abysmal to say the least! :sad: While their computers are of good quality, if you need any help... well you probably already know much more about the computer than 95% of the Dell support staff. So if you go the Dell route, just keep that in mind.