Real World Flight Planning - Help Wanted

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Real World Flight Planning - Help Wanted

Post by PeteP »

I guess it might seem a little odd to ask this sort of question on a Flight Sim site but I know a number of the regulars here work in (real-world) airline ops/planning/dispatch departments (Leif for example) and at least one (Tonks) flies international airways flights so here goes:

Many countries - the UK, and the US are 2 examples - use an east-west semi-circular split for their Flight Level Orientation System but some - France and, I believe, Spain and Italy are examples - use a north-south split. Ideally, I'd like to find a definitive list of which countries use which system but I doubt if such a thing exists - unless, of course, you know better! :smile:

Any help and information gratefully received. Thanks in advance.
Pete

soggy
Comet
Comet

Post by soggy »

Pete,

It might not be of much use to you,But i can remember reading the full list in one of the military flight planning/air traffic doc's.Problem being i can't remember which one.It may of been on the back of one of the en-route charts.

Pete

Edit.
Maybe it was one of the MATS volumes,god knows i updated them enough times :lol:.

If United were playing in my garden,I would close the curtains.

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

Thanks to both of you for taking the time and trouble to reply.

Pete,
Following your suggestion, I checked out several 1 AIDU FLIPs but could find nothing useful and I aslo checked the equivalent Aerad supplements also without success. You're right about the RAF en-route charts having information on the back but unfortunately - as Tonks' graphic shows - it's only the standard ICAO semi-circular east west-split. I'm looking for the exceptions to this rule.

If you should have any more thoughts about where I could look, I be very glad to hear them.

Tonks
Thanks for the pointer to the Wikipedia article - I normally avoid these unverified sites like the plague but this one contained two useful bits of information. The graphic there clearly showed the Israel FIR as using a north-south split and the text mentioned New Zealand as another country using this "non-standard" method for its FLOS.

So, I now have two "definites" in France and Israel and 3 "probables" in Spain, Italy and New Zealand. Can anyone confirm or add to this list?

TIA
PP

soggy
Comet
Comet

Post by soggy »

Sorry pete i can't think of anywhere else to try,Since i started driving truck's for a living my memory has turned to mush,but my wallet is heavier. :lol:

On second thought's,Have you considered giving 1AIDU at northolt a call,last time i spoke to them they were friendly and helpful,seeing as they publish the doc's they should know which one to get the info from.

Good luck in your hunt,

Pete
Last edited by soggy on 16 Jan 2007, 11:46, edited 1 time in total.

soggy
Comet
Comet

Post by soggy »

Aha!!

Try the UK MIL AIP VOLUME 3 PART 2 SECTION 2,International flight planning. which includes an overview of airspace structure, communications and routes. Information is provided for nations that are most likely to be visited by UK military aircraft.

The customer services (and heres me thinking they are military!!!customers?? Bah :roll:)Telephone number is 020 8833 8209.

Peter

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

Thanks again, Pete. The Mil AIP International Flight Planning section sounds interesting - I'll check that out.
Best
Pete

soggy
Comet
Comet

Post by soggy »

Good luck with the hunt Pete,Let ma know how you get on.

Cheers,

pete

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Pete

Ill be back to work tonight and troll through the Latin and SA AIPs
to see if I can find anything for you :)

Although Im pretty certain most of them use the semi circular rule

Leif

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

Cheers, Leif. :smile: I was wondering where you'd got to. :think:
Best
Pete

J_Eden
Chipmunk
Chipmunk