1961 Heathrow scenery

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi All,

Well.. getting rid of the default M$ stuff and backing up various directories then finding/moving traffic.bgl's and finally installing the CalClassic aircraft turned into something resembling having a tooth extracted without the benefit of anaesthetic :lol: With the help of Dan, the basic install got finished around 4:15am this morning (5:15am Dan's time) and by this time, all I really wanted was my bed :roll:

I have, however, had a little more time to have a look today and started with a VA flight in the Ambassador LHR-LFPB. Nothing much to see until I approached the ramp at Le Bourget and what a joy to see 707's and Caravelles lined up (a Comet too if I remember correctly)!! :wink:
After a quick turnaround.. I set off for LHR again.
Framerates..
Well, the naked LHR (with default traffic) was very rapid on approach but it did start to complain a little the closer I got with the CCAI. I've installed the CC Classic Props and Early Jet's and believe me.. there are a lot of them!! Such is the impact on this system (XP2400) that many take some time to texture-up and a good 'goof' outside can have them losing the textures while out of view. In reality, it's probably no worse than UK2000 LHR where there are a lot of aircraft but many are static and a few are AI. With the CalClassic collections.. its the other way round!

Anyway.. more work to do as other locations need to be added but I'll leave you with this shot. I'd just parked up and the Viscount behind had just moved out. A Caravelle appeared in my slot just as I was about to go into it but it soon wound up and legged it off. Out of shot is a Comet on the move and a Vanguard which had just landed :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

tgibson
Viscount
Viscount

Post by tgibson »

Hi,

Looks nice. :smile: Sorry you had such trouble. :sad: Let me know if there is something I could change to make it easier.

BTW, one thing you can do when you know you will be arriving at a busy airport like EGLL is to turn down the traffic slider to a lower value (Options/Settings/Traffic). My traffic files are randomized and will smoothly remove AI aircraft as you move the slider. Helps the frame rate around those frame rate crunchers.

And at LHR you can turn it down to 50% and still have plenty of traffic! Do this well before you arrive, to have time for the AI traffic to reload and settle down around the airport.

Hope this helps,
Tom Gibson

Cal Classic Propliner Page
http://www.calclassic.com

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Tom,

Tks for that. The angle I chose for that shot wasn't the best as it highlights the 'mysterious' water now resident on that side of the airfield.. all a consequence of UKVFRPhotoscenery/UKVFRTerrain and the subsequent coastline patch. Garry Summons UK2000 scenery was designed to fit it so it covers the 'wet bits'. There may be a way around it yet as I removed all of the UK2000 LHR bgl's prior to loading this 'early' version rather than have one sit on top of the other. I've noticed a number of steps in elevation on taxiways though nothing too drastic unless viewed from the outside (plenty of tyre smoke!). :smile:

I installed Shannon, Munich, Frankfurt and Schoenefeld this afternoon and all are very pleasing.. both the airports themselves and the associated 'period' AI aircraft in situ. :wink:

For anyone wishing to have a go.. the airports are very easy to install though they need various RWY12 libraries.. mostly the same 3 so you don't have to keep going online to find new ones. I already had a good deal installed (this required for the excellent Australian freeware by Derek Froud amongst others.. DelF on here) but as many freeware scenery developers use the same files, it's worth the effort and something you generally only do once.

Installation of the CalClassic AI is probably a damned sight easier than I made it and poor Dan never got to go to bed :lol: My install was done via MSN and without me having read any of the file instructions beforehand. On a fresh load of fsim, it would be a doddle but this system has a 2year-old.. bloated load which of course complicates things further as there is more rubbish to find and get rid of. Once you see how it transforms your flightsim world.. it is worth it :wink:

ATB

ImageImage

Wolfgang
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Wolfgang »

Hi Dave

>I installed Shannon, Munich, Frankfurt and Schoenefeld this afternoon and all are very pleasing.. both the airports themselves and the associated 'period' AI aircraft in situ. <

Thank you,
but don´t forget the outstanding and minimum 2 classes
better modelled airports from Tom Gibson and Mike Stevens.
These are mostly US airports exccept Hongkong Kai Tak.
They are also very framefriendly and looking outstanding good.
Pieces of art in my opinion ( take a look at Las Vegas ).
But be warned, after looking on this it would be difficult
for you to close your mouth :smile:

Greetings Wolfgang
You can't fight in here Gentlemen.
This is the War Room !

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

Tks Wolfgang :wink:

I've not finished yet :wink: Kai Tak and the other US airports are already on my PC as well as Ciampino, Gander and Entebbe. It's just a matter of opening the zips and doing the install :wink:

Great work from you all and I can't wait for further additions :rock:

ATB

ImageImage

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Hi All
I must say, after installing all the old goodies, that is a bliss to do, the reason it took so long with Dave's setup was merely as pointed out, that I wanted to be sure he had all prerequisites at hand before we got started. Sharing files with msn is a bit of a hassle especially with the size we used.

Anyway the install went quite smooth once everything was ready. So I really can't say that anything needs to be different there.

I'll get Dave on to the RetroAI part beginning of next week, so he can begin enjoy the same setup as I have ;-)

But if someone would take up the challenge of making a good BA or BOAC from around late sixties early seventies, that would certainly be well received :-)

I know that Ian (speedbird591) has flightplans from that period, and I have a copy as well (1973 that is) I guess we would have 707's TriStars, Tridents, VC10's, Comets as well humming around us....

Being one of the would biggest airliners at that time we would also have the benefit of covering a pretty good part of the world at least with BA aircraft :-)
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

MALTBY D
The Gurus

Post by MALTBY D »

All this great retro stuff has forced me to get myself a "new" PC built.
Still old technology done on a tight budget, but much faster.
I can now fly round old Heathrow in the 1-11 VC, top quality, thick clouds, line of nice retro AI & 18-24 fps instead of the 9-15 of the old PC. What joy! :bigrin:

Thanks very much for such great work. :welldone:

DM
ImageImage

Wolfgang
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Wolfgang »

Hi

>What joy!
Thanks very much for such great work<

I have to thank you Sir David and all others
here at CBFS.
The very first Add-on Aircraft I fly virtually
are Davids Comet 4.
The aircraft are a joy, but not the default modern
airports with modern AI .
This and the projects from Tom and Mike
let me do this airports.

And yes, this airports are build for joy
and are 100% flyable even without
a hyper-modern computer.

The next airport are in work and i hope
you all will be enjoy it.
Also Mike Stevens has some in the pipeline
to fly with an AA Bac 1-11.

One of my dreams were, to have the entire comet 1
route to south africa ( London, Rome, Cairo, Khartoum, Entebbe,
Victoria Falls, Johannisburg ).

But that´s only a dream

Regards Wolfgang
This is the War Room !

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

But dreams DO come through sometimes Wolfie :-)

Meanwhile we all enjoy the dreams that HAS come through.

Keep up the good work!
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

Wolfgang
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Wolfgang »

Hi Dan

>But dreams DO come through sometimes Wolfie<

Yes, you are right.
But I have searched for over an half year
for information and pictures of Cairo Heliopolis
without luck. That was a bit frustrating.

Are you collecting material about Castrup ?
If so, that airport would be interesting for me.

With the help of Harry Biard and Jaap de Baare
we are working now on Amsterdam Schiphol 1960.
And I heard that Paris Le Bourget is possibly in the works
from Volker Boehme.

Greetings Wolfgang
This is the War Room !