HMS Ark Royal

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Patron7
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Patron7 »

Congratulations to the "Ark" team, she's beautiful. I was on board for her last Med cruise - and fell in love (even though the deck seemed a wee small to a USN pilot).

I have installed her in FSX, and she works perfectly there. I woud not hesitate to "advertise" Ark as a fs9 / FSX download.

One question: what software did the team (or others now using her) trap with? I use FD4, but will have to get the coordinates necessary to define the "trap area" before my cables will work.

"BZ"

Bill
Bill

Seaking
VC10
VC10

Post by Seaking »

In the past I used 3Wire, but haven't used it lately, did it early on in the projcet. I'm sure they'll be somone out there who will post up the zones for all the various progs you can use for trapping etc.

Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear she cooks in FSX

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Rich the ensign effect may be missing the texture in the effects/texture folder, it probably isn't included in the bundle as Ian couldn't get it to work, I only realised why when I visited Fraser on the weekend and played around with his. I'll see if it can be sorted out for an update some time soon or as a standalone download.
Not sure about building the lights into the model as I'm using 3d Studio rather than Gmax to do the modelling and there's no gamepack as such for that sort of thing. But it's something I can look into along with crash detection which I think should be fairly simple. The main reason I hadn't noticed that was probably because I was using a vanilla install of FS and hadn't played with the default settings to make errors easier to diagnose.

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I afraid she didn't work in FSX for me :sad:
Strange effect where the sea would raise to meet the flightdeck. It looked like a waterfall off the deck.
Also the lights and steam effects were way above the deck.
I'll post a screenie later if you want.
Dave G.

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Right, time for a quick show of hands. I have now figured out how to turn off crash detection on the model (it was an RTFM kind of thing) anyway, due to the way the ship was assembled I can turn it off for the whole ship, or just the flight deck and still have you crash into the island. As I have no strong preference either way, everyone posting an opinion here before I recompile the models on Saturday will go into some sort of poll type thing, like an election or pop idol or something.

Oh and DaveG if you could post a screenie, I think I might know what's wrong.

chazcozens
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by chazcozens »

Leave the island as collidable, definitely - otherwise it takes the challenge out of being centered on the deck!
Cheers,

Chaz
Cuius testiculous habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum

Patron7
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Patron7 »

I have taxied the AlphaSim USN Phantom alongside the static RN Phantom. As near as I can tell, they are the same size.

I also went back and looked at my water and steam in FSX. Sorry Dave, mine is perfect.

The only flaw in FSX, which I discovered while doing the Phantom comparison, is that there are no glass textures on either the Ark herself - or her static aircraft. As the bridge glass is framed, the lack of glass is not readily discernible. Obviously I also didn't notice the lack of aircraft canopies at first - but if the team was going to do some cleaning up, I would request that you eventually put glass textures that are FSX compatible on at least the static Phantoms and Buc's.

I plan on flying from Ark for a number of years - so making her FSX perfect would certainly make me happy.

Bill
Bill

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I disabled the afcad for the Ark and now things looked fine, but of course there is no hard deck now :roll:
I'll have to play around more when I have more time.
Dave G.

JohnWillimas
VC10
VC10

Post by JohnWillimas »

SkippyBing wrote:Right, time for a quick show of hands. I can turn it off for the whole ship, or just the flight deck and still have you crash into the island.
Just the flight deck, from my point of view please.

Cheers.

kit
Trident
Trident

Post by kit »

The Ark's finally made it onto flightsim.com :lol:

That should improve her download rate, 114 downloads already!!!!
Regards
Kit