Cold & Dark Starts

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Tom Clayton
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Tom Clayton »

richtho wrote:my default.flt opened with notepad appears crypted

i can't read anything...

i don't understand...

:k:
That sounds like you're trying to open some other type of file. The default file that starts you at Seattle in the C172 is located inside Flight Simulator 9\Flights\other. There are normally only three files located there, one text file and two *.flt's. If you open a blank Notepad window, you should be able to drag "FLTSIM.FLT" into the window to edit it. It should start out like this:
Microsoft wrote:[Main]
Title=Default Flight
Description=You are at Seattle Tacoma International Airport (KSEA). Release the parking brakes, apply full power, and take off. Have a good flight!
AppVersion=9.0.30304
FlightVersion=1
As for that other file that you said looks like gibberish, at the top of that folder's window, click Tools > Folder Options, click the View tab, and find the line that reads "Hide extensitons for known file types." Make sure that line's unchecked and then look back at that file. I suspect that you'll find that it's not really a *.flt, but something else.
Proud member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Moderator: Sim-Outhouse Forum
You can also find me on Facebook

richtho
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by richtho »

hi,

it's ok now !

thx. :dance: :dance:

fighterpilot
Trident
Trident

Post by fighterpilot »

I'm having a small problem with one particular aircraft related to cold and dark starts. Mine is setup so that when i start the sim the engines are off but batteries/avionics etc are on. With the recent Wessexes the sim loads the rotors are spinning but the engine isn't started and i have found no way throught the panel or key commands to get the engines to fire up. Any Ideas?

edit: or is it something i haven't read in a manual somewhere? should rtfm.

Richard
ImageImage

Tom Clayton
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Tom Clayton »

Helo's like the Wessex start the rotors with the fuel switch turned on (Ctrl+Shift+F4). On the Wessex and a few other helo's, what you have to do then is very slowly advance the throttles. Watch the rotor RPM and touque and you'll see when the engines have come to life.
Proud member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Moderator: Sim-Outhouse Forum
You can also find me on Facebook

fighterpilot
Trident
Trident

Post by fighterpilot »

tried this but still having problems getting the engines to start, i'll have another go later though

Richard
ImageImage