First Impressions of FSX SP1

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

snave

Post by snave »

Thought to ponder:
Have you tried TileProxy...? If you use the Virtual Earth server the photoscenery is at least as good as Gen-X. It's `free` too, albeit beta...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tileproxy

Second thought to ponder: ALL `placed` autogen that is valid for one photoscenery should be valid for another... :think:

Final thought to ponder. Why can TileProxy not be used to `call` pre-installed photo-scenery in the same way as it loads texture tiles one at a time..? Clearly, actually installing Gen-X is a bad, bad thing, but pointing the tileproxy installer to the location of the Gen-X folders could work, with a bit of tweaking... :k:

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

Interesting point re Tile Proxy and something to consider - one problem with Tile Proxy is that the coverage of high resolution satallite images is not great.

Did some testing of Gen-X and here are the findings:

1. Mesh made no difference at all - so if nothing else Gen-X provides better mesh than standard, albeit at a high cost.

2. 2.4m textures cause the stutters - these textures cover the nominated area, e.g. all of area 1 for volume 1.

3. 1.2m textures make no difference, possibly because the area of coverage is extremely small, limited to a small area around the aircraft depending on hight and speed (usually lagging behind a bit).

It seems that FSX does not like photo real textures, at least of the kind provided by Gen-X. The $64,000 question is... is it an FSX issue or a Gen-X issue?

On my system at least Gen-X is a none starter but I fully appreciate that there are users around who do not suffer the stutters either at all or in the same way. Still pretty bl**dy annoying though considering how much the three volumes cost.

Regards,
Chris

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Tks for that Chris :wink:

I've not gone to your lengths with SP1 but I did try that beforehand and got pretty much what you're seeing. There are so many variables it's just not possible to nail one specific thing down.

Some folk loaded the demo 3D Wales and it worked fine. They then bought the full Gen-X area and it started playing up. Some have had nothing but sunshine from the word go. Others had everything running like a dream until SP1 and now it's gone down the pan. On my system at least, Gen-X has caused nothing but problems and the basic scenery has always been much better (faster/smoother).

Horizon will be the first people to say that M$ are to blame (an easy copout) but it's interesting to note how many folk have said that Gen-X now runs better after SP1.. which was supposed to have addressed a number of framerate related issues and these are few. Perhaps it IS something in the FSX coding that is the root of all evil.. I honestly don't know. The best thing I could do is to advise that anyone thinking of buying Gen-X hold off.. indefinately because as the old saying goes.. two wrongs don't make a right :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

More from the testing front:

Took lots of advice from the horizon forum and tried various things:

1. Disabled VSync (set to off) and whilst there might have been a reduction in stutters it was hard to determine exactly by how much, if any.

2. Nothing else in the form of tweaks, either to the graphics card settings or FSX settings appeared to have much affect - still left with the stutters regardless.

All testing was done with only area 1, volume 1 enabled (or bits of it at various times). Whilst I'm happy to continue testing I've been doing it as part of the day job, and in some pretty unpleasent places, for the last 6 weeks or so, so I'm not inclined to do too much more.

This is deeply disturbing - if we all had stutters then it might mobilize the developers of Gen-X or FSX to do something about it but it seems there are a fair few people who don't. For the record I have an AMD 64 CPU - of those that get the stutters with Gen-X what CPU's do you have?

Regards,
Chris

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Chris,

I run an XP3200 (non 64bit).

Rick runs an intel DualCore jobbie and didn't get stutters until SP1 but now he does :shock:

ATB

ImageImage

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

Weird Dave... (not weird Dave but weird, Dave). I only hope someone gets to the bottom of this one and fairly quickly. I'd hate to think that I spent quite a bit of hard earned for some fairly good mesh!

Horizon (if you lurk here) over to you chaps!

Been on the wine by the way and lots of beer at the local with its all-day Blue Grass event (was good stuff), which explains the "weird" opening to this post. And I'm still not sure if weird is spelt right! :lol:

Regards,
Chris

airboatr

Post by airboatr »

I have adual core Intel 2.8
2 gigs of ddr2
fx6600 nividia 512mb ddr2
300gb HD
I still get sutter in FS9 not even all the slides up.
In the Arrow III , looking out the windscreen at the spinning
prop I'm down to 18 FPS

I'm not touching FSX
it may be what I'll have to have in the future
........................but like way down the road future

Buying FSX now . for me and I think for most
(current Hardware used at present,..on average)
FSX is just gonna let you down and waste alot of time
unless one likes tinkering with the bits and peices of a program
even when one doesn't have all the bits and peices to play with

the program isn't ready in my opinion. Even after reading the most optomistic reviews.
it's working Yes and many have reported good things ,
I hope that MS would fix thier little problems in FSX and VISTA and the dual core usage and wow ....... so many others
Last edited by airboatr on 26 May 2007, 04:15, edited 1 time in total.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Well, After SP1 was installed, its like a new product in my opinion, (arguably the one it should have been on release)

I have a pretty decent spec machine, and I'm running Vista x64 and have had no problems (performance wise) since I installed SP1. From what I have read, most problems stem from folk who are still treaking their cfg after the update. This amazes me frankly that less than a week after its release all of these "tweaking experts" already know how SP1 affects the cfg.

I followed DB's advice and rebuilt my cfg from scratch, and... I haven't had a problem. All of the tweaking i have done has been using the sliders in the API and I must confess its given me a new found interest in the sim, when my enthusiasm was waining. :smile:

Intel QX6600 (Quad Core) 2 GB PC6800 Ram SCSI ultra 320 HDD Nvidia 8800GTX
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Strewth Ben.. I've never even heard of Quad Core!! :shock: You're not running FSX on the company Mainframe are you?? :lol: :lol:

ATB

ImageImage

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?