New Computer

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

telpeedell
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

New Computer

Post by telpeedell »

Hi all CBFS forum members and guests. I certainly like the new format and screen layouts. Compliments on your great work to all concerned. I have given up the struggle to make my old computer run properly ( or at least run as I think it should), and I am taking the plunge and committing myself to buying a new computer with Windows Vista so that I can upgrade to Flight Sim X and enjoy it's much vaunted reality effects. etc. I have almost settled on buying a top of the range Dell computer and was wondering if any forum member would care to comment on this make of computer in a general manner. As many of you will know Dell only sell over the phone or the internet so there is no local shop to take your computer back to if you have a problem. Comments on speed of delivery, help, or repairs would be useful as well as opinion from anyone who has a Dell computer regarding their satisfaction with it, any serious unresolved problems, and does it run FS 9 and FS X well. It's not a crime to voice your opinion on a commercial object so please let me know if you have advice to offer. Many thanks in anticipation of your helpful replies. TERRY.
Anything to do with Flight Sim. particularly
historic or classic aircraft.

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: New Computer

Post by Filonian »

Hi Terry,

You might care to have a look at this site before you take the plunge.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/barebones.html

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Don't laugh, but how about this if you want a ready to go box?

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/08/01/tesco_medion/
http://www.tech.co.uk/computing/compute ... edion-6486

Based around a Core 2 Duo E6750, but how good is that video card?

Anyone ever bought a Medion PC?

Myles
Lightning
Lightning

Post by Myles »

Hi Terry,

I have a Dell Latitude D520 laptop. It's no good for FS, but it wasn't intended to be used like that!

It stopped working after six months and a call to their tech support (India) confirmed that the motherboard would need to be replaced. The support call was made on Thursday and the man arrived to fix it in situ on Monday. I had ruled Friday out as I could not guarantee there would be anyone in. I had only bought return to base support, but they sorted it out under warranty in situ for no additional cost.

Just my tuppence worth!

Best,
Myles

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

I have a Dell and when I buy a new computer it will not be a Dell. Their "technical support" is horrible. You will probably be talking to someone in India that you can barely understand and it will take ages to get through to anyone who can actually help. You probably know far more about the computer than they do. I have a litany of horror stories about Dell's "help". If you like staying on hold and then being cut-off, then Dell is for you.

That said, the computer is well made and when my video card went south, it was promptly replaced but after much hassle with "tech support."

Another tip, be sure you understand from Dell for what software they provide backup CD's with your order. At a minimum, you need the backup CD's for the O/S software and you should have backups for any other software they pre-install on your computer.

JimCooper
Lightning
Lightning

Post by JimCooper »

I have configured both the DELL XPS710 and DELL Dimension 9200 for use with FS9 and FSX.
The XPS710 is not really worth the extra money the 9200 performs equally as well.
I'd recommend going for XP and upgrade to Vista later once DX10 is out and stable.
Both my systems had dual 8800GTX cards to run 4 monitors..but if you're only running one monitor then the 8800GTS will suffice.

Regards

Jim