Need a little help!

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Reheat
Victor
Victor

Need a little help!

Post by Reheat »

Evening Lads and Ladys!

Time to ask for a little bit of help I think. Been playing with this one for a couple of months now, with many many thanks to Frank Elton, who did the original Leopard Moth for FS2000, and has given me all his resource files, but who has moved his attention to other projects recently.

I have rebuilt his original model and am now at the stage where it is once again looking like a DH.85, and she now compiles nicely into both FS2004 and FSX, the flight model is being adjusted so she flies realistically in both and work on the gauges ....well I'm sure I'll get round to it soon! :doho:

Here is where I am to date:

My main problem at the moment is the textures, I have no real interest in that vein and so right now when on her test flights she looks like this:

Lovely eh?

So, I would first of all like to ask, are there any texture artists out there that would be willing to muck in on such a project?

Obviously it will be freeware so no reward can be offered, but any and all help is appreciated!

Cheerio,

Alex
Last edited by Reheat on 31 Aug 2007, 09:32, edited 1 time in total.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: Need a little help!

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Alex

Looks nice.

You need to make the textures and map the model.

A texture artist would not have the maps because they don't exist and would need to know about modelling to map it.

It can't just be painted, the mapping is a major part of the model making.

The parts have to have their materials set for the correct dynamic shine etc and some parts will be reflective and some transparent. This will determine how some parts are named.

Parts that are animated really need to be textured then animated.

In a way you are really asking for someone to take over the model

ATB

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Reheat
Victor
Victor

Post by Reheat »

Garry,

Sorry, I didn't make myself quite clear in the original post, actually all the maps have been made for the model, well... I say all, the fuselage and wings have been mapped, the oleo legs and wheels have not.

But they are there and those that aren't I will be making.

However, painting is something I simply can not do, hence my request here for someone who has the knowledge, and the time to dedicate to the project, to turn my maps into something that looks like a Leopard Moth should.

Alex

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Alex

OK mate...just the untextured model in the shots made it seem no textures exsisted at all.

See if you get a reply..best of luck :)

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

ukmil
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ukmil »

we over at UKMIL are always willing to help. if you want us to co-create this project, give me a shout

Techy111
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Techy111 »

Bit of a noob but i have a passable knowledge to help with some repaints :)

Techy
The last surviving and complete Vickers Vanguard....."Superb"
ImageImageImage

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Alex

I cannot help you, but I am most interested in your project ,as a Leopard Moth, G-ACMN belonging to JJ Parkes, who was one of the designers, was the very first aircraft I ever flew, (under tuition from JJ himself) in about 1959 . It still exists and I last saw it at Duxford about 3 years ago

Best of luck with it

Chris

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

Hi Alex,

A couple of points if I may...you say that, as far as texturing goes, 'you have no interest in that vein'....well, you'll need to find some interest.....

If you want to send the model to someone else for texturing they will need from you:

..your source files or a compiled model, fully mapped, in whatever design programme you are using (FSDS3?)...so the textures can be tested in FS

..a 'paint kit' of basic mapping so the painter knows where to paint...

..and some idea of the paints you want...photos, references, etc

Sorry if this sounds curt... but it ain't that easy.....

Derek ;-)
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

Reheat
Victor
Victor

Post by Reheat »

Perhaps I can just clarify my position before another grumpy old bugger has a go at me:

I have a model fully compiled, it works in FS2004 and FSX, It is fully texture mapped, I have the textures done to date and they all look bloody horrible, because I am awful at it. I don't like drawing, I got a F in art back in school (and if I wasn't so depressed by all the bad thoughts going on here that could be a funny joke) I would like this model to look good, and I'm not the man that can paint it.

What's with all the negativity on this forum!?

I'd like to express my sincere and heartfelt thanks to everybody for making their comments, however I wouldn't have asked for something without having the resources in place that the person would need to help me.

Gaffer,

I'm not willing to hand over the project to another organisation to take on, but thank you very much for your kind offer.

Chris,

You are the second person in two days who has said they flew the Leopard Moth, I'm very jealous indeed, if you have any stories you'd like to share then that would be wonderful. I don't suppose you have any of your notes left do you? ;)
I'm putting together a checklist at the moment, perhaps when its ready I could send it over and see if that tallies with your memory? it should do as I'm producing it from a word document supposedly taken from an original.

Techy,

Very kind of you to offer you services sir, I certainly won't say no, anyone who wants to have a go is more than welcome to! If it turns out crap we just won't include it ;)
But seriously, please PM me and we can sort something out.

Keep it coming lads!

Alex

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

I'd love to lend a hand, however time may be a little pressing for me over the next fortnight or so as I'm busy moving house. If this isn't a job that needs rushing and can wait a wee while I'd certainly love to have a crack at texturing for you.

If you stick "Christopher Halpin" on AVSIM I'm sure you'll dig up some of my repaints if you want to check that I can actually paint. :lol: