A Comet Special...

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: A Comet Special...

Post by jonesey2k »

You could always get some chap in an old Cessna to run you across to the smaller islands when the big plane is being fed and watered :)

Dave, one of the best parts of visiting PAMA, is that any visiting FAA inspectors are promptly frog marched over to the sergeants mess and made to drink 12 pints of real ale before being put to bed for the weekend so you can have a bit of fun with big bangs and adventurous aerobatics that would otherwise be frowned upon :)

I'm starting to get hyped up for a RTW myself but I still cant think of a plane to do it in. I want 4 throbbing piston engines... Hmm. DC6 :)
Last edited by jonesey2k on 02 Sep 2007, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Thanks for that Peter. I may just upgrade to GBv2 but not really sure how to go about it now I'm well and truely out of the loop. Think I was up to and including v3 of your original MCL and can see that being terribly out of date now :roll:

Jonesey..
I doubt I could stand 12 pints of real ale these days :) Nice to get back to PAMA though.. it feels very much like an old friend ;-)

Four throbbing engines hey. Well, there are some great choices for you!! The PE/MH York/Lancastrian immediately spring to mind as does the Payware Shack MkIII. I've already done a RTW in the Shack so the next choices for me were I to embark on another one would be the York or Lancastrian. I never tire of listening to 4 Merlins ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

You could always get some chap in an old Cessna to run you across to the smaller islands when the big plane is being fed and watered :)
Jonesy go and wash your keyboard for saying the C word - Venture operates HS748s from PHNL to all 6 main airports in islands and a couple that are a little off the beaten track :lol: - Plus we offer Sightseeing trips on Oahu (aka The Concrete Island)
Hawaii (the Big Island including guided tours of Kilauea) Kauai (The Honeymoon Island - which of course also masqueraded as
the Island in Jurassic park) and of course my own personal favorite for obvious reasons - The Valley Isle (Maui) operated by four rather nice Rapides courtesy of Dave G.

I know OFFTOPIC :lol:

But Pele made me do it -- :lol:

Leif

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

I'm going to do a RTW trip soon, but I just can't decide on the aircraft to use. I did consider using different aircraft for different stages, but I don't think I'd get the same sense of accomplishment at the end. So, its going to be the MAAM DC-3, PD's Lancastrian, or just about anything from the CBFS designers that has the legs for the job. I must learn that bubble sextant add-on for the overwater stretches too.

By the way Peter, I linked your thread at my other forum, and its starting to generate some interest. Feel free to say hello. :)

http://www.242sqn.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=515

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Funny you should say that as I was just thinking of the MAAM DC3 myself :)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Two throbbing engines short there Jonesey :lol: A black mark noted on your permanent record too for considering an American aircraft for the job! ;-)

ATB

ImageImage

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Heaven is a big pair of Bristols :D

Am I now forgiven? :lol:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Most Definately :lol:

ATB

ImageImage

Ian Warren
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Ian Warren »

petermcleland wrote:Thanks for the comments chaps :)

BTW... The Staff Tour itinary is being finalised today for a departure on Monday evening. The route is now fixed as follows:-

Get fuel at Yakutat PAYA then Honolulu PHNL, Pago Pago NSTU, Christchurch NZCH, Melbourne YMML, Perth YPPH, Cocos Is. YPCC, Diego Garcia Navy FJDG, Nairobi HKJK, Larnaca LCLK, Munich EDDM, Helsinki EFHK, Goose Bay CYYR, Portland KPDX, McLeland Field PAMA.

There will be standover days (1 or 2) at Honolulu, Christchurch, Nairobi, Munich and Helsinki all other stops will be just nightstops :drinkers:
Hi ya Pete , I hav'nt seen a real Comet , checked out a Nimrod at 88 Oz airshow , so i'll be out at the Christchurch International waving :welldone: :dance:

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Ian Warren wrote:
petermcleland wrote:Thanks for the comments chaps :)

BTW... The Staff Tour itinary is being finalised today for a departure on Monday evening. The route is now fixed as follows:-

Get fuel at Yakutat PAYA then Honolulu PHNL, Pago Pago NSTU, Christchurch NZCH, Melbourne YMML, Perth YPPH, Cocos Is. YPCC, Diego Garcia Navy FJDG, Nairobi HKJK, Larnaca LCLK, Munich EDDM, Helsinki EFHK, Goose Bay CYYR, Portland KPDX, McLeland Field PAMA.

There will be standover days (1 or 2) at Honolulu, Christchurch, Nairobi, Munich and Helsinki all other stops will be just nightstops :drinkers:
Hi ya Pete , I hav'nt seen a real Comet , checked out a Nimrod at 88 Oz airshow , so i'll be out at the Christchurch International waving :welldone: :dance:
Hi Ian, I'll look forward to seeing you there...I need to modify the schedule already...I'm at Honolulu now starting Standover days. I found, to my surprise that I could get a fully loaded Comet 4 out of McLeland Field...so no need to go to Yakutat for fuel. The other thing is that I expected to land at Honolulu with some light but it was still pitch dark at 04:16 local when I landed...Dawn wasn't till 2 hours later so I guess I would need to start off from base at about 0100 local :-(

An adventurous approach in the dark at PHNL...Could not get the Autopilot to lock to the approach...Fought with it for a while and then dumped it and rescued the approach manually. It wasn't till I was thinking about it in bed later, that I realised that I had left the GPS/NAV set to GPS :brick:

I logged 6hours 21mins for the flight and I guess the pax slept all the way. All starts for the rest of the tour will be at the much more civilised hour of 1000 local :)

I've been into Christchurch for real, a few times as a passenger. Usually on an Air New Zealand 747 direct from Narita,Tokyo.