Savoia Marchetti S.73 FS.9

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Savoia Marchetti S.73 FS.9

Post by Garry Russell »

At flightsim.com

By pcmeneg

file name: s73_v10.zip

http://fs1.flightsim.com/cgi/zview?cm=v ... nshot2.jpg

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Re: Savoia Marchetti S.73 FS.9

Post by DispatchDragon »

I saw that last night Garry - rather a twee looking aeroplane - Might have it give it a go

thank you

Leif

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Looks like a refined JU.52 with style..one of a number of three engine Italian designs.

Funny I was only going through a refernce book last night and I'm always astounded by how large the Italian industry was at one time.

Not copie either.many innotive designs.........they flew a jet after the Germans but before the Whittle.

Theirs was a different sort of jet called a motor jet that had a compressor driven by a piston engine. :o

Many airliners as well some of them quite large.

Garry
Garry

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DispatchDragon »

I'm assuming your talking about the Caproni N1 Garry???

They also messed about with ducted fans as well

Photo Courtesy of the Italian Air Museum

Leif

OOpsie added an M to the company :lol: :roll:
Last edited by DispatchDragon on 28 Sep 2007, 00:56, edited 1 time in total.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Yep....that's the one :thumbsup:

Garry
Garry

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DispatchDragon »

By the way Garry (and for anyone else who may fancy a little Spaghetti Bolonaise)

Nice little flier - decent VC in it - took a minute to get use to Metric instruments

Garry it will probably be a better flier in a couple of hours ;-) Need to ask Jon M if the weather at home was really that trashy
today :)

Leif

kikko
Comet
Comet

Post by kikko »

Hi guys,

being Italian, I'd like to add my comments regarding the Savoia Marchetti trimotors. The S-73 was a nice aeroplane, and the model for FS9 is quite good externally. The 2D/VC are pure fantasy but it's quite enough for me to see Italian old plane well represented. Savoia Marchetti ( SIAI) S-81 and S-82 were however the military workhorses during the war and the S-82 continued its career up to the early sixties in the " Aeronautica Militare Italiana", re-engined with Pratt&Whitneys. The last one was then abandoned in open air at Guidonia airport near Rome , where languished rotting away , up to the late seventies. After many years of oblivion , the plane was saved by the rising "Museo dell'Aeronautica" staff and restored . The unique trimotor can be easily admired in the major Museum hall in its full glory. We have 5 trimotors in Museums, 2 S-79 Sparvieross , the S-82 Marsupiale , a Cant Z 506 Airone and the beautiful FIAT G-212. Unfortunately no S-73 survived the war as well as the S-81 and the S-84, the latter being a new substitute for the ubiquitous Sparviero but without its excellent characteristics. A failure for the last of the big italian trimotors ,at least. The Sparvieros were almost considered extinct , when 3 examples were discovered stored in a hangar in Lebanon in the early seventies. One is in the A.M.I. museum, the second one is in Trento at the Caproni Museum and the third (actually only a relict) is stored somewhere on behalf of A.M.I. They were gift from Lebanese Government and had to mantain Lebanese look for years. The example in Trento still has the crazy lebanon colors and insignia . :tab:

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

I've always had a soft spot for these Savoia Marchetti trimotors - several nations had trimotors, only the Italians made them look good! :)

Andy

panty
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by panty »

For FS2004 it is possible to find also some Cant Z506, Manuel Villa is doing all the variation of the Airone; for instance he has delivered the A and C versions.
Look for 506_ac01.zip at avsim