Fairey Gannet

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

youngharry
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Fairey Gannet

Post by youngharry »

Many years ago, Classic British flight Sim was heavily involved in the making of a Fairey Gannet.
The only Gannet available to the Flightsim community is from Japan and while it is reasonably close to the real model, it does not have a 3D cockpit.
As a Gannet maintainer of years gone by, I also notice small inconsistencies with wingfold, etc.
Why was the project shelved? It seems a great shame.

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Fairey Gannet

Post by spatialpro »

Sorry, I can't answer the question, but I'd lend support to a revamped Gannet with VC. It would be very good in these days of carrier traps and cat launches in FSX Acceleration.

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,
RTX 3090, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Harry

The Gannet your talking about was being made by Aeroplane Heaven and the SimOuthouse and was not anything to do with CBFSIM.

Regards
Rick

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yo Harry :)

There were actually two on the go.. one by SoH as Rick mentioned and another which did involve CBFS members (though it was being made under another banner) ;-) As it happened, when SoH released shots of their model.. it was already far in advance of 'the other' project so the modeller turned his attentions to making a Wyvern.. and an Auster.. and.. :roll:

The end result was that none of the projects were ever completed :-( I seem to remember Jan Visser picked up the bones of the SoH Gannet but I could be wrong.

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Various people picked up the source files of the Outhouse Gannet (it was originally a Razbam Ron project), including Dano of AS fame; but, as Dave rightly says, nothing ever seems to have come of it. From a couple of 'conversations' I had with Ron I seem to recall that it was about 90% complete, but still needed some really major stuff doing (the VC, for example).

youngharry
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by youngharry »

Rick Piper wrote:Hi Harry

The Gannet your talking about was being made by Aeroplane Heaven and the SimOuthouse and was not anything to do with CBFSIM.

Regards
Rick
Thanks Rick and all who answered; that aircraft looked so good in the planning stage. As I might have said before, I love all those British planes that were an important part of my past.

Seaking
VC10
VC10

Post by Seaking »

I for one would love to see this Gannet finished, I am no modeler but happen to have the source files for it
in gmax, if anyone is interested in completing the old girl PM me and I'm happy to pass along. I've had the
files now for over a year.
AsusP5Q mobo P45 Chipset
QX6850 extreme 3ghz running at 3.6
4 gig OCZ DDR2 1066Mhz PC8500
XFX 8800GTS 512 G92Engine

youngharry
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by youngharry »

Seaking wrote:I for one would love to see this Gannet finished, I am no modeler but happen to have the source files for it
in gmax, if anyone is interested in completing the old girl PM me and I'm happy to pass along. I've had the
files now for over a year.
Good on you Seaking. I hope I have started something.