Gloster F5/34 "Guardian"...

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Gloster F5/34 "Guardian"...

Post by FlyTexas »

...courtesy of Bill Holker now available at Sim-Outhouse. :) Nice details!

Brian

Last edited by FlyTexas on 03 Mar 2008, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: Gloster F5/34 Guardian...

Post by Garry Russell »

New one on me :worried: :$

Thanks for the HU :thumbsup:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde
Location: South Orange County, California (ex-pat from Cambs.)

Post by nazca_steve »

Nicely done, Bill - perhaps a repaint project for some of us in the future?

Steven Beeny, repainter and modeller. New Canberra series for FS9 out now.
http://www.flyingstations.com

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Couldn't help thinking it looks a bit like a Zero!

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

nazca_steve wrote:Nicely done, Bill - perhaps a repaint project for some of us in the future?
That's why Bill has modelled it with the hook Steve, he will also be releasing a correctly unhooked Gloster F5/34 shortly.

After his recent Boulton Paul Partridge I fired Bill over a selection of pre-war British fighter projects, this is the (first) fruit of those labours. Lovely little beast isn't she! :welldone:

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

interesting - there was only one F5/34 built and it was natural aluminum - many of the Gloster workers knew the legend that
after the MOD turned Glosters down in 1938 they sold the plans to Mitsubishi (Total BS by the way) - Two things
1/. the colour?? Every photograph of the aircraft I have ever seen (Including those at the Factory in 1959) It was natural
aluminum

2/. Im not sure where they got the name "Guardian" from as again Glosters referred to it as either the F5/34 or
"the nameless fighter"

Oh yes and as it seems I have to offer Bonafides for anything I post here............

My father was an Apprentice at Brockworth from 1937-1939 and a member of the design loft from 1945-1952 and from 57-to
closure

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

DispatchDragon wrote: 2/. Im not sure where they got the name "Guardian" from as again Glosters referred to it as either the F5/34 or
"the nameless fighter"
Mea culpa, I'm afraid. Bill thought it should have a name, and people at the Outhouse were going through a list of 'G's - I suggested Guardian as it seemed a little more sensible than Galahad, which was leading the field at that point.

Regarding the colour, yes you're right about the aluminium, I shall mention this to Bill and hopefully he can release the prototype in it's 'correct' colours. To be honest though, I look upon this hooked release as a blank canvas for some interesting "What If..." schemes!!

rpjkw11
Meteor
Meteor
Location: Rio Rancho, New Mexico (The other side of the Pond)

Post by rpjkw11 »

Very nice model. She flies wonderfully, though I was fooled about the speed. Even knowing she's a fighter, I don't know why I expected a cruise speed of around 135. :flying: Anyway, she's a great and welcomed addition to my hangar. I loved reading the bits history that were posted. I'd really love a bare aluminum finish as well as any and all 'ficticious' repaints our many talented painters would care to throw at me (us). :dance:

One detail that caught my eye are the landing mains. The wheel struts are rather unusual, but make sense and look quite nice.

Thanks, Bill, for the hands down winner! :welldone: :kissu:

Bob

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Re: Gloster F5/34 "Guardian"...

Post by DispatchDragon »

LOL I can forgive the name - Its photo hung on the wall in Gloster's main office as late as 1959
It was held by many at Glosters that it would have been better than both the Hurricane and Spitfire if developed
purely because the Radial engine made it lighter than both plus it would absorb more punishment.... Unfortunatly
by the time the F5/34 was developed Hawkers had taken Glosters into their corporate structure so there was no
place for an orphan fighter and Glosters were tasked with building Hurricanes - Which was fortunate as it put Glosters
in the front seat when Powerjets opened up shop in Cheltenham - By the way the orginial name for the Meteor was to
"Thunderbolt" until Republic developed their 7 ton milkbottle

Leif

Imperator
Viscount
Viscount

Re: Gloster F5/34 "Guardian"...

Post by Imperator »

Having much fun with it :welldone: