Turbulant!!!

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Turbulant!!!

Post by FlyTexas »

:lol: Hopefully the little bird will have a pilot when she's finished. :)

Brian

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

If memory serves - PNZ had a very nice little sliding canopy as well

Leif

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Wasn't those registrations ending in 'Z' indicative of Rollason built airframes?
Correct - I hadn't realised that but looking at the individual aircraft details at:
http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?c ... =turbulent

Like Garry, I always associate Turbulents with registrations ending in "Z". I think Biggin Hill air displays was where I saw many of them, probably because it was not too far form the Tiger Club base at Redhill.

And a quick Google search indicates that the Tiger Club was still around recently.
http://www.tigerclub.co.uk/history.htm

Another discussion of memories, including fates of UK-registered versions, here:
http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showth ... ?p=1237884

Imperator
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Imperator »

FlyTexas wrote::lol: Hopefully the little bird will have a pilot when she's finished. :)

Brian
Now it has, next step is doing the windscreen, animating the control surfaces and cut out the slots near the leading edge. Framerates looks good, 23 to 24 locked at 26 in FSX. Project status: 105 parts, vertices 28771 and polygons 22667. BTW anybody have some good pictures or plans of the VW engines used in most british based Druines?

Bridon Bear
The Ministry

Re: Turbulent!!!

Post by Bridon Bear »

Hi Imperator,

As I mentioned I intend to build a 1/4 Scale RC Flying model of the D31 so I have dug out the plans and sure enough, the designer (Dennis Bryant) has drawn details of the engine from front, side and top view so I have scanned these parts for you, this should help. Also there is a drawing of the panel which I know you have more or less 'sussed' from your screenies but nevertheless I included that as well as the seat harness details for interest sake. Lastly, I found a 1/48th Scale Drawing of the Turbulent which I have also put in the PDF file for you......check your PM box... :thumbsup: and keep us posted on developments.

Regards.

Bridon Bear

P.S. I sincerely hope that a paint kit will be released for this little Gem in the fullness of time ;-)

'Only Birds and Fools Fly'

http://thethriftysquirrels.co.uk

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

I'm a bit late on this thread, I know, but when I was looking through the slide boxes for Britannias, I came across this delightful shot of Turbulent G-ARIZ taken by Michael Harries at Goodwood on Bastille Day 1962. The slide wears its 46 years lightly and I though it might be worth showing it here.

Pete

Bridon Bear
The Ministry

Post by Bridon Bear »

Lovely shot there Pete...hope you don't mind but I have restored the print a bit to wind back the 40 odd years of fading etc. ;-)

This Turbulent of yours reminds me of the Green/Dayglo one I remember from the same era with the natty spats etc. G-AREZ also had the sliding canopy.....hope Henry models these refinements eventually....He is doing the slots I know, the other thing I recall was the handy little handles built into each wing tip, very useful for ground handling by the helpers with no castoring tail wheel...just a skid.

P.S. Henry....If you are reading this.....don't forget a paintkit... :thumbsup:

Imperator
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Imperator »

Bridon Bear wrote: P.S. Henry....If you are reading this.....don't forget a paintkit... :thumbsup:
Sure, when it eventually reach the upload stage, paint kit will be provided. This is the progress, thanks to Rick Piper and Dave Nuñez for unvaluable help :welldone:

Next to do is modeling the engine (in progress) you sent me, the cutting of the slots will be the last i do ,perhaps i could do the handles built into each wing tip and also the bubble canopy as shown in the lovely pic above, and also...well... :drinkers:

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

Brian, that shot you posted was taken at Goodwood in the 60's. If it had been built then, and the camera moved a little to the left....you could see my old house :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ATB Trev

Bridon Bear
The Ministry

Post by Bridon Bear »

Hi Trev, actually I didn't take the shot....just enhanced the posting from Pete's above it to revive some of the colours.... :dancer:

As to your progress Henry......super, smashing...etc etc.. :thumbsup:

The little handles on the tips will be great as will the sliding canopy for certain.......(if you could try and model the wheel spats as well.... :prayer: )

Super little aircraft this one....I have been inspired now to seriously think about building an RC flying version maybe later this year...a nice 1/4 scale Autumn/Winter project..!!!

Regards.

Bridon Bear