Has the tide turned? FSX or FS9?

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Are you using FSX or FS9 as your current place to fly CBFS aircraft?

FS 9 users.....I am still stuck in the dark ages and love it.
56%
FSX users...I have entered the shiney new MS heaven and love it
27%
FSX and FS9...I am sitting on the fence until the new sim arrives and fly both!
17%

Total votes: 116

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Re: Has the tide turned? FSX or FS9?

Post by speedbird591 »

DaveB wrote:And maybe we shouldn't! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

If we did it would turn into a which is best after two posts :lol: :lol:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

I too fly (normally in the circuit) at low altitudes and hoped FSX would be perfect. For the first year I was stuck with 'look alike' default airfields and rather boring scenery that dragged FR's down if I put it to full. My area of Spain is a desert in FSX, not exactly realistic!!!!!!

Remember that several airfields in the UK went up on 'platforms' when FSX came out, not sure if this has been fixed now, but it annoyed me at the time. I bought the Horizon stuff, but was always disappointed when I came into an airfields that looked so 'unreal' and it stuttered so much too. I hear it is much better now.

My FSX experience was made worse by the fact that I only fly around add-on scenery in FS9 (seldom default) , like VFR France and Godzone. Only in the past 6 months has any good FSX scenery come out, and that makes more demands on the system than the default stuff does.

I agree that 'out of the box' FSX is better (in several areas), but not enough for me to swap to, without investing a small fortune...which (because I am a lazy bugger, living here in the sun and no longer doing the dreaded 9 to 5), I no longer have. For those willing to invest, I am sure FSX will be even better with the stuff like Rick's Hawk (still hoping for an FS9 version :worried: ) is released, but I cannot justify it.
ATB Trev

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Think you'll find prop FSX stuff, like the Hawk and others actually are LESS resource intensive than stuff that was ported from FS9. I get 20 - 30 fps in DM's VC10 in FSX and anywhere between 65 -95 in the hawk, which is at low level and 300 - 400 kts. ;-)

Its much different to when you were using it Trev. :kissu:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Its much different to when you were using it Trev.
... on a PC capable of managing the entire resources of say, South Africa. You forget Ben.. we're not all in the higher echelons :lol:

That little prop thingy Rick did for FSX is worse on my system than the FSDS2 Varsity, dragged and dropped screaming into the sim believe it or not :o The FS9 WoP B17 (as an example) runs as well as anything else too so I guess, there comes a point where things will show their true colours when given the resources to do so :dunno:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

Its much different to when you were using it Trev.
I have no doubt, Ben. But by the time I get an upgrade, I will have no money left to fly it in anything other than default scenery etc. The 'improved' factors have also made a great deal of extra work for developers, this has made everything more expensive!!!! IMHO, FS9 got the balance pretty much right on detail and pricing. |-)
ATB Trev

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

"there are a load of old duffers here"
By that phrase you mean dinosaurs, a word I here often at work where if your over 30 and not on the promotion ladder you are past it and have no more use than a draft excluder. Hmm you know the Dinosaurs were around a lot longer than we will ever be! I am allowed to be grumpy on this post for two reasons, number one I am old and invented the phrase grumpy old man :lol: I also have just come off another night shift where my body fails to accept I should sleep during daylight hours :-( In fact I am thinking of setting up an nice bussiness for old grumpy men, we can rent ourselves out to family parties and weddings as every party has the miserable old uncle or grandad sitting in the corner asking for the music to be turned down, spilling the half pint of shandy down my outrageously out of date deckchair pattern shirt, telling the kids they never had it so good. Then falling over at the end of night piddling oneself on the way to the clothes cupboard in the cenile moment when you think its the loo....
Only FS9 users need apply, those newbie ones that play with cartoon birds and elephumps wandering accross an unrealistic FSX desert..they call Europe need not apply :D

AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

We live in the same world Mr M :thumbsup: One thing.. my music has to be outrageously loud in order for me to hear it but eveyone else's has to be turned down :lol: I was sat in the toyroom last night playing my bass to Dark Side of the Moon and the good lady came up from the bar and complained about the noise (the toyroom is on the other end of the pub too) :o They were all branded BOF's when I went down for my beer 30mins later! :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

I always thought that this poll would possibly reflect an 'odd' picture of what is happening regards FSX-FS9 use!

That is one of the reasons why I spend so much time here, if we were not the sort of people we are (grumpy old sods), the British aviation industry would have an almost nil presence in MSFS. It is people here (and other places like it) that have ensured that you can fly forgotten and commercially flawed aircraft in your sim, whatever one it is. If we all went 'with' the flow, MSFS would be full of tubeliners (post 1990) and F16s.

As to Dark Side of the Moon, I almost bought it again (CD rather than the old forgotten vinyl) last time I was in the UK. Thankfully, for Mrs c, my dear old collection of bass guitars has long since been sold :'( :'( :'(
ATB Trev

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Put my name down Mr. M.

Victor Meldrew has got nowt on me. :@ :@ :@

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.