Waddington Airshow...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Re: Waddington Airshow...

Post by speedbird591 »

Sl4yer
Trident
Trident

Post by Sl4yer »

:)

It was pretty special! Can't imagine they had a chance to rehearse it either, so well done to Dave Thomas and Martin Withers.

SO glad we went now, although I'm incredibly sunburnt!

For me though, the best display of the day was the Typhoon/Spitfire duo. Very original (to me at least), and good to see the Spit bring used in a slightly less sedate way than usual with the BBMF. Simply brilliant, and quite emotional.

Not so good getting away from Waddington after the show though. We only had to walk to the campsite, but the traffic never moved in the time it took us. It was nearly 9pm before the airfield was clear.

James

Techy111
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Techy111 »

I am for once.....speechless......... :o :o :o :o :o :o

:rock: Rock on......... :thumbsup:

Tony
The last surviving and complete Vickers Vanguard....."Superb"
ImageImageImage

AlexP
Trident
Trident

Post by AlexP »

What a day!!!

Queued to get in (but not as long as some thanks to local knowledge), queued even longer to get out, and got rained on in the morning, but I’d do it all again in an instant.

It all came good in the end with fantastic weather for the main event, I even got a bit of a tan! :lol:

Courtesy of my Dad, I watched proceedings from the 44 Squadron enclosure (they were having their annual reunion which coincides, by design, with airshow weekend). As 44 has operating both Lancasters and Vulcans during its past emotions were understandable high for the fly past of Avro’s finest. I have to admit I was quite moved by the whole event too, especially 558’s take off. Very poignant.

Unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures of the main event as neither I, nor my camera would have done it justice. However, I’ve found a fantastic selection of shots in the News & Links section over on the ubiquitous Duxford Update site:

http://www.duxford-update.info/ (click ‘News and Links' on the left hand side)

This one being by far my favourite:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mclaydon/x4w7.htm

Once again, very well done to all at TVOC and all those involved in successfully returning XH558 to the display circuit. :welldone: CHEERS

Alex

forthbridge
Concorde
Concorde

Post by forthbridge »

Thanks for those links Alex - sounds like you had a fantastic day mate :thumbsup:

What absolutely stunning shots with the two Avros just looking stunning. Awe inspiring stuff, I think we can truly say one of the air display highlghts of recent years :)
Jim

Sl4yer
Trident
Trident

Post by Sl4yer »

Yes, great pics Alex - thanks for the links.

I see from Pprune that 558 was u/s today... Unlucky. Hopefully it will have a successful weekend at the RIAT. :dancer:

James

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Sl4yer wrote: For me though, the best display of the day was the Typhoon/Spitfire duo. Very original (to me at least), and good to see the Spit bring used in a slightly less sedate way than usual with the BBMF. Simply brilliant, and quite emotional.
Nice the see they are doing that again. They did a similar thing in the mid 80s (before my time) with the early Tornado F2/3 and a Mk XIX.
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

Hi guys, not been back long, just posted two images from over 800 ive taken over the two days... I must say i was mighty impressed with the variation of participents this year! Im glad that 558 came home to Waddo to do her first display, only if it was just Saturday as Sunday she had a technical fault so she did a taxi run... I do have to agree that the displays are getting better coriographed now, especially the Spit + Phoon, the Lanc and Vulcan was a nice Iconic one, and the RAF Demo was actually really good! Ill post more shots hopefully tomorrow night...

thehappyotter
Concorde
Concorde

Post by thehappyotter »

Sl4yer wrote::)
so well done to Dave Thomas and Martin Withers.
I've just finished reading Vulcan 607 so to see Martin Withers flying a Vulcan would have made it that little bit more special, especially with 607 itself being at Waddington too.

Thanks to all who have posted photos. I am really gutted that i've missed it this year and hope 558 is still able to fly next year.

Rob.

AlexP
Trident
Trident

Post by AlexP »

Another youtube vid, love the excitement of the people and the feeling of the aircraft bearing down on you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuenaXkcb9A&NR=1

Alex