Hawker Sea Hawk W.I.P

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: Hawker Sea Hawk W.I.P

Post by Garry Russell »

I'd love to see those pics :)

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

sketchy74
Vulcan
Vulcan
Location: Los Angeles, California, But an ExPat Brit from Cornwall

Post by sketchy74 »

RAF_Quantum wrote:Hi,

I can't wait for this little beauty to arrive. Just a quick question, is it me or does the pilot look a little small in that cockpit?
Regards
John
Well, it is Skippy's Pilot after all and perhaps he modeled it on himself?!!? ..... perhaps he may want to pipe up on this point and mention why he is called "Skippy'.....?

Sorry mate....couldn't resist..... I best be nice to you in hope that you are still going to bring over Tea Bags for me and Cadbury's for the Long Haired General when you visit next month!

Then I think we need to get together with the Seahawk man here for a few..... CHEERS or two!

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde
Location: South Orange County, California (ex-pat from Cambs.)

Post by nazca_steve »

Hear, hear, Sketchy, I am most certainly down for that! :welldone: Perhaps the origin of the Skippy story is best left to the imagination? We'll see. I boosted the pilot and seat size a touch, but not much.

As for Seaking's lovely deck shot, that is a beaut. They do look good wings folded, and better still, with startup smoke billowing out. You'll be pleased to know the wings do fold on my model, so we can have some nice attempts at recreating a deck shot like this!

In the meantime I've been painting, and none other than the rather fetching green and white 'Admirals Barge' - XE390:

Last edited by nazca_steve on 20 Jul 2008, 23:41, edited 2 times in total.

Steven Beeny, repainter and modeller. New Canberra series for FS9 out now.
http://www.flyingstations.com

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Hmmm looking at the pictures I think I may have modelled him too thin, or at least I didn't allow for the extra thickness of the survival gear etc. on his back. I think the helmet is about right (I actually used measurements for that!) but if you look at the pics it tends not to be up against the headrest. Steve you can probably improve the look by just moving the back polys a few inches.
To answer another question I didn't model the pilot on me or he wouldn't be able to see out!! I actually got some dimensions off an ergonomics site so I think the lengths of the limbs etc. are right it's just me not allowing for the full bulk of what he's wearing (I can't really compare it to what I wear as it's a lot different).

mrjake2002
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by mrjake2002 »

Can't wait for this to be ready!! Looks fantastic!

I don't suppose you'll be making a paintkit?

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde

Post by nazca_steve »

Hello SKippy,

Personally, I'm pretty happy with him as is, but I suppose he could be a tad further forward off the head rest. Question regarding the uniform: would FAA pilots have work shoulder rank slides back in the 50s? You can see them worn by one of the RNHF pilots in this video, and I was thinking of adding them if the consensus agrees they had them back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK1E5u6HatA

Mr. Jake,

I will probably do a paintkit after the release. No repaints before that from beta testers please.

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Steve, the one period reference photo I have where you'd be able to make out rank tabs is from the From the Cockpit Wyvern book, and they do have them. Bizarrely they're the stiff board style ones you lace onto a tropical shirt, however in my experience once you put the life jacket on you can't see them anyway so it's a moot point.

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde

Post by nazca_steve »

Moot indeed, and one less piece of work :welldone: Thanks for the info.

** LATEST UPDATE:

I just finished the Dutch Navy FGA.50, so the Karel Doorman's decks will not be left out either.

** LATEST UPDATE:

I have just finished the German Mk.100 and Mk.101s, so that wraps up the modelling! Now just to re-export them all with the new, larger pilot, and we're on to the panel.

Mk. 100:

Mk. 101 with Ecko 38b radar pod and scope in cockpit:

mgr
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by mgr »

nazca_steve wrote:Moot indeed, and one less piece of work :welldone: Thanks for the info.
** LATEST UPDATE:
I just finished the Dutch Navy FGA.50, so the Karel Doorman's decks will not be left out either.
:D :prayer: :prayer: :welldone: :welldone: Looking great! Small remark, the decal on the bottom of the wing, needs to be rotated 180 deg clock-wise. The "red" is always to your right.

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Well done Steve, coming along very nicely. :welldone:

Am clearing some hangar space.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.