Bomber Command

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Bomber Command

Post by Filonian »

Filonian wrote:Duly signed, and passed on to my contacts.

Graham

Update to my post - return receipts show that my contacts are signing up - and spreading the message further.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Chard wrote:I have an issue. I can't sign as I'm not a British Citizen despite my the fact that my Grandfather was an a Navigator in 75 Squadron during the war on Wellington Bombers, He then served as instructor in Canada. I feel it should also be open to those who hold Commonwealth, or at the least dominion passports. :-(

I'm a New Zealander of British Decent and I'm disappointed I can't sign my name to the cause, which is a great one at that. :-#

I signed as an expatriate with my US address and email and it worked! Technically I have duel citizenship since I have never renounced being a British subject before a British Consul (and never will) but the petition site has no way of knowing that!

Chard
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Chard »

I've posted it on a Model Aeroplane forum, which has already accounted for 5 signatures. I'll be doing my bit by emailing family and friends in the UK, urging them to sign. :flying:

Kevin
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Kevin »

I have never quite understood this particular campaign. There WAS a Campaign Medal awarded to Bomber Command aircrew - the Aircrew Europe Star.

It was created specifically to recognise that UK-based aircrew operating against continental targets would otherwise qualify only for the 39-45 Star and the Defence Medal, both of which could be awarded only for service at home bases. Although some members of Fighter Command and Tactical Air Force aircrew were also eligible for the Aircrew Europe Star, most of them went to Bomber Command, for whom it was specifically created.

The basic criterion for award of the Aircrew Europe Star was to fly operationally for at least two months over Continental Europe between Sept 1939 and June 1945.

By the way, to quote Wikipedia:

"The ribbon for this medal, along with those of the other Second World War campaign stars, is reputed to have been designed by King George VI. The sky is represented by pale blue, night flying by the black stripes on the edges, with the yellow stripes representing enemy searchlights."

Sounds like a Bomber Command campaign medal, doesn't it?

Kevin

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

Not quite, anyone flying as active aircrew from the UK and Europe (Italy is a good point) and includes Transport Command, Coastal Command and pretty much everyone in Fighter Command post 1940. When I see young guys now with 4 or 5 medals for campaign service (not all of whom have been at the sharp end) I do not begrudge them this honour. However 30 trips in Lanc at the hight of the bomber campaign deserves a medal, and a dedicated medal alone.
ATB Trev

fatboy
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by fatboy »

Chard wrote:I have an issue. I can't sign as I'm not a British Citizen despite my the fact that my Grandfather was an a Navigator in 75 Squadron during the war on Wellington Bombers, He then served as instructor in Canada. I feel it should also be open to those who hold Commonwealth, or at the least dominion passports. :-(

I'm a New Zealander of British Decent and I'm disappointed I can't sign my name to the cause, which is a great one at that. :-#
On the petition site there is an "expatriate" option - may be worth a try.

Signed today.
Disappointing number of signatories though.

Regards
Chris

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

calypsos wrote:
Not quite, anyone flying as active aircrew from the UK and Europe (Italy is a good point) and includes Transport Command, Coastal Command and pretty much everyone in Fighter Command post 1940. When I see young guys now with 4 or 5 medals for campaign service (not all of whom have been at the sharp end) I do not begrudge them this honour. However 30 trips in Lanc at the hight of the bomber campaign deserves a medal, and a dedicated medal alone.
That was something of an issue in other theatres too, my father refused to apply for his Burma Star until just before he died. He did not feel that it was right that people who had sat in supply stores back in India should have the same medal as he and others who spent three straight years in the jungle. In fact his brother-in-law got an MBE for working in the supply chain in India (paper clips can be vicious in the tropics), while my father got two mentions in despatches for being up the sharp end. Many more got no recognition at all.

Anyhow petition signed. Recognition has recently been given to those who delivered fighters and bombers to the airfields, so maybe the time has come for this wrong to be put right.

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Post by Jon.M »

Signed up.

For anyone unaware of what these guys did for us I recomend:

'Tail-end Charlies' by John Nicol and Tony Rennell and 'Bomber Boys' by Patrick Bishop.

Of the two I preferred 'Tail-end Charlies'

Jon

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Jon.M wrote:Signed up.

For anyone unaware of what these guys did for us I recomend:

'Tail-end Charlies' by John Nicol and Tony Rennell and 'Bomber Boys' by Patrick Bishop.

Of the two I preferred 'Tail-end Charlies'

Jon
I'd add "Heroic Endeavour" by Sean Feast. An account of one day in December 1944 with 582 Sqn, and a daylight raid on Cologne, in the air, and on the ground, including some of the horrors that faced the crews who were "lucky" to bale out that day. Murder is only just a strong enough word to describe what fate met some of them.
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

steelsporran
VC10
VC10

Post by steelsporran »

fatboy wrote: On the petition site there is an "expatriate" option - may be worth a try.
Signed today.
Disappointing number of signatories though.
Regards
Chris
Disappointing - yes, but any attempt to increase numbers by adding ineligible names could invalidate the whole thing.
steelsporran