FSX Westland Wyvern: In the next 24hours

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Re: FSX Westland Wyvern: In the next 24hours

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Well done Skippy and crew she's a keeper! :welldone: CHEERS

Only had time to drop into a flight in mid air to check her out so far.

I did notice something that could be a minor bug though and I'm not sure if you know about it or not so thought I'd better mention it. In the VC the prop pitch lever doesn't seem to be animated for me (FSX + Accel). The label displays changes in pitch when I move my pitch control on my HOTAS and the pitch changes affect engine revs but the lever doesn't move in the VC.

I just RTFM and noticed that you mention some anims/features were dropped so maybe this was one if them. If so ignore my waffle and I will go back to enjoying the plane. :lol:
Larry

Rich
VC10
VC10

Post by Rich »

Skippy,Sketchy et al, just looked at the download out of interest as I do'nt have FSX and see I am credited with the airfile, as I did a beta for Fs9 I suspect a lot more work went in later if it is based on my work.

I understood Fs9 airfiles would behave differently in FSX.

Hope it works ok, it is the only one I have done.

No complaints about using it as it was the origional intention, the screenies look great well done to all.

Oddly enough I have been out of flight simming for about a year and only reinstalled it this week after having to rebuild my comp after a disaster with the mother board luckily all my Fs stuff was intact as it was on a seperate HDD.

Am I going to be forced to get FSX now ?
Rich

sketchy74
Vulcan
Vulcan
Location: Los Angeles, California, But an ExPat Brit from Cornwall

Post by sketchy74 »

Tako_Kichi wrote:
I did notice something that could be a minor bug though and I'm not sure if you know about it or not so thought I'd better mention it. In the VC the prop pitch lever doesn't seem to be animated for me (FSX + Accel). The label displays changes in pitch when I move my pitch control on my HOTAS and the pitch changes affect engine revs but the lever doesn't move in the VC.
There isn't actually a prop pitch lever, I think you may be thinking about the Mixture Lever? Or possibly the Spoiler Arm? However......after all I was only the texture monkey.... STUPID so I may be wrong!

I hope you get to start her up from cold, wings folded, and canopy open soon rather than in mid air. Thanks for the feedback, we'll fix any issues we can.
Rich wrote:Skippy,Sketchy et al, just looked at the download out of interest as I do'nt have FSX and see I am credited with the airfile, as I did a beta for Fs9 I suspect a lot more work went in later if it is based on my work.
Am I going to be forced to get FSX now ?
Rich...It would be rude not too! Especially after your hard work... :dancer:

Best,

Sketchy.

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

sketchy74 wrote:
Tako_Kichi wrote:
There isn't actually a prop pitch lever, I think you may be thinking about the Mixture Lever? Or possibly the Spoiler Arm? However......after all I was only the texture monkey.... STUPID so I may be wrong!

I hope you get to start her up from cold, wings folded, and canopy open soon rather than in mid air. Thanks for the feedback, we'll fix any issues we can.
I just fired up FSX again to check and the lever in question is labelled as 'Propeller Control' when you mouse over it and moving my controller slider, which is programmed as the prop pitch axis, makes the % figure run up and down. You also get the pseudo pitch forward/back effect that you normally see when changing the prop pitch on other aircraft. I was however wrong in my first statement where I said 'the pitch changes affect engine revs' as checking it again shows no change in the revs (I must have been seeing things the first time!) :$

I also discovered another possible glitch on my last flight. I turned the fuel cock from 'all' to 'external' and nothing would get it to go back again and then I was constantly being bugged by the 'FSX Nanny' about my fuel being critically low and to press 'CTRL-X' to fix it!
Larry

Quixoticish
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Quixoticish »

What an absolute joy, it looks fantastic in FSX and has become a permanent addition to my hangar.

We just need a Sea Fury to go with it now. :dancer:

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Hi guys, glad you like it.

Reference the pitch lever, technically there isn't one as the Wyvern had a system similar to the FW 190 in that the power lever controls the throttle and pitch controls to provide power. For testing I used the throttle friction control as a pitch lever so I could see if the bit of code I'd written to control things actually worked, once I was happy I then removed the animation but I seem to have left the tool tip in. Although you can alter the prop pitch the gauge control should take control almost instantly which is probably why you aren't seeing any change in revs.

For the fuel cock problem you may need to drag quite a long way across the cockpit to get it to flick back from the external tanks, if I'm looking straight forward I generally end up with the cursor halfway across my other monitor!

Rich glad to hear from you. The airfile worked pretty much straight out of the box in FSX, I think the alterations I made were all in the aircraft.cfg although that was mostly things like fuel locations etc. where I managed to find more information than I originally sent you.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Nice work boys :thumbsup: A great looking model :rock:

Unfortunately, a machine more powerful than my XP3200 is required to run it (I put it on there rather than the Core2 as I have ACC on the 3200!!).. too many draw calls me thinks. First external look showed no fuse and one of the props spinning above the cockpit facing up.. helo style :o It eventually caught up but the downside is full blur ground textures. Changed to Rick's Hawk and all snapped back again. I'll have to try it on the Core2 later ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Dave,

That's a bit odd as it uses less drawcalls than the Hawk (133 vs 217), although that may not be the whole story. Have to say the slowest cpu I've personally tested on is the Centrino Duo in my laptop where it was fine. I did manage a similar effect to the one you describe when I opened a second view window for an external view and maximised it on my second monitor!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hiya Skip :)

DG's Beau is the same on the 3200.. pretty much unflyable if you want to see the aircraft and ground :roll: I reckon it'll be ok on the Core2 even though it's a paltry (these days) E6600 ;-)

As a rough guide.. the 3200 system is as follows..
AMD XP3200+ (non-64bit)
Nvidia GF6800GT 128mb DDR2
3gig Crucial DDR333 system ram
1 x 160gb Sata1 and 1x500gb Sata1 HD's
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo

This is enough to run FS9 reasonably well and FSX SP2/ACC at a similar speed (surprisingly enough) but the extra umph of the Core2 and double the graphics ram on that system do allow higher settings and the 2gb Crucial Ballistix keep things moving along nicely ;-)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

speepig
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by speepig »

Very nice!! Thanks!!!