FSX Bump mapping question

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

FSX Bump mapping question

Post by Tako_Kichi »

I have recently been sloshing the virtual paint around for something to do as it's been a while since I last played with repaints. Things have gone well and I have even managed to figure out how to get a high gloss, metal flake effect, paint job by clever use of the spec map and alpha channel (something I have tried several times to do and only just managed). This evening I decided to have a go at creating a bump map and that's when I hit problems. The aircraft I am repainting is a true FSX model with the exception of bump maps so I decided to make my own. I read through a few tutorials and the SDK and managed to create a reasonable looking bump map file but for some reason it does not seem to be loading in FSX. No matter what settings I use (even supposedly extreme ones) I am not seeing the effect on the model. I am now wondering if it has to do with the model itself as I read in the SDK a section covering enabling the bump maps in the settings panel of the modelling program used.

So my question is this, do bump maps only work if the 'switch' is active in the model or should I be able to just generate a bump map (with the correct file name and format obviously) and the texture will be applied to the model as per a regular diffuse or specular texture?

I was following this info I found online to generate the bump map texture:
There is nothing magic about bumpmapping at all. What bumpmapping does not do, is adding threedimensionality to a model. Its all about enhancing a 2D texture to look more 3D.
The process is quite simple, you need only the normal map plug-in by NVIDIA for Photoshop (i believe there is a similar plug-in for PaintShop too). That is the module you will need also to save a DDS bitmap directly out of Photoshop. You do not even need the Imagetool utility provided in the SDK.

Start with a greyscale image of, i.e. the fuselage. Leave only the parts visible you wish to have bumpmapped. That will be preferably only the rivets, metal plating, screws and things like that. Flatten the layers and run it through the normal map filter. Then comes the part not described in the SDK: Go to the channels view, you'll see the three colour channels. If not present, create a alpha. Now copy the contents of the red channel into the alpha. Make the red channel completely black, invert the green channel and make the blue channel completely white.
Save that bitmap as DXT5 DDS file using the name "SF260_1_T_Bump.dds" (exemple). You have now a bumpmap texture ready for use in FSX.

There is a problem with the SF260 paint kit here: In the kit, you have a "details overlay" layer and that contains not only the rivets but also the dirt and smear. If you bumpmap that layer, you will end up with 3D-looking weathering. So there is much handywork to do.

The other drawback is that bumpmapping can be too strong. Look at the default Cessna or the DC-3: too large looking rivets. The whole thing is overdone. Also, a naked metal skin can look like plastic. You have to play with specular- and bumpmap toghether with alpha, to achieve good results.
Just for reference these are some examples of my file names:

Diffuse map - Fuse1_T.dds

Spec map - Fuse1_T_Spec.dds

Bump map - Fuse1_T_bump.dds

Thanks for looking.
Larry

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: FSX Bump mapping question

Post by DaveG »

The model needs to be a true FSX compiled model, and be set up for bump mapping at the modelling stage.
If it hasn't been compiled with a bump map in the first place, it won't work I'm afraid. :-(
Dave G.

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

D@mn! :roll: :-(

Oh well that was a fruitless 4 hours last night but at least I now understand how to make bump maps even if I can't get them onto the model in question.

It would be nice if there was a way of telling if a model had bump mapping activated but no bump maps were made (for whatever reason) so that you know which ones are worth bothering with.

Hmmm...I suppose I could make a 'test' bump map consisting of 'ripples' or some other easily identifiable effect and just drop it into an aircraft texture folder (changing the file name to suit of course) and see if it has any effect. No change = bump mapping not active, ripples seen = bump mapping active but no bump maps made for it.
Larry

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

If the developer hasn't included bump maps as standard, it's very unlikely the model will support it.
Dave G.

sketchy74
Vulcan
Vulcan
Location: Los Angeles, California, But an ExPat Brit from Cornwall

Post by sketchy74 »

These are great texture opportunities if they are used right, I must admit I have seen some aircraft with panel lines that look 20 foot deep and may be guilty of creating similar looking files!

We recently looked at the textures for the Wyvern and realised that the Bump mapping made no effect at all on the VC as I had spent quite a bit of time creating 3d looking textures. The Spec mapping can be really fun, the best example I have seen is actually the default Robinson R22 with the Green Hawaiin textures.

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Here's what I was playing with on the spec maps.....

The red and blue paint have a 'metal flake' effect that only 'glistens' when the sun hits it at just the right angle. I also 'tinted' the shine for the respective areas so that you get the appearance of the deep gloss clear coat used on custom car paint jobs.

Spec maps are a lot of fun to play with!
Larry