Hawker Sea Hawk beta test ready

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde
Location: South Orange County, California (ex-pat from Cambs.)

Hawker Sea Hawk beta test ready

Post by nazca_steve »

Hello all,

Well, I finally have got my act together with the beta model, which is now available for download here at 24MB: http://www.nazcastudios.com/sea-hawk/. The model is a 'clean' config FGA.6, WV908 in the Royal Navy Historic Flight colours. The readme file contains important notes and the beta objective, and please post your feedback on this thread.

Regarding an online beta flight, I am not sure I am going to be around for one this weekend, but feel free to go ahead with one anyway. I know Techy 111 can host 10 folks at a time; all I ask is that some take some screenshots, especially if you end up doing the synchronised startup!

Remember, this is still beta, and there are a few cosmetic features still to come, such a rudimentary, non-functional VC. It is also my first project as you know, so you're bound to spot a good flew flaws in the model. Feel free to point them out of course, but what I'm mainly after is feedback on the FDEs. Full pilot's notes as compiled by Hobby in alpha testing are available here http://www.nazcastudios.com/sea-hawk/pilots-notes.html.

Cheers all,

Steve

Steven Beeny, repainter and modeller. New Canberra series for FS9 out now.
http://www.flyingstations.com

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Re: Hawker Sea Hawk beta test ready

Post by Trev Clark »

Oh crikey, I wait months for some FS9 beta work and they all come at once! I will DL her and try her out at the weekend Steve, currently I am spending my time on something bigger...and a lot slower!
ATB Trev

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Steve,

Great to see her coming along. I'm using FSX here, so this is just for info....

Most of the guages won't work in FSX as they are FS98 guages
Lights down't move when the wings are folded
Textures appear strange (see pics)
2008-10-2_22-54-50-26403.png
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Trev - I can commiserate - besides the "known" Betas -- Ive been handed two more both post war British Aircraft
BUT I just have to fly this one

Leif

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde

Post by nazca_steve »

Cheers for the intial FSX feedback, Ben.

I think there will have to be a proper port over to FSX at some point, but no immediate plans on that yet. The texture issues you mention may just be the lighting in FSX exposing the mesh flaws in the model. When I cut out the cannon panel, it seemed to create some ugly smoothing problems, but I have to say these are only visible at certain angles so I let it go for now. As for the lights, if anyone knows how to anchor them to the wingfold, please let me know.

Steve

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi steve

Are you lights modelled parts?

If they were, and a child of the wing then surely they would move with the fold??? :think:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Jetstreamsky
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Jetstreamsky »

You can't use a light effect called in the aircraft.cfg on a moving part, as the coordinates are directly coded there and won't move. Either turn them off or a modelled light with an illuminated texture is required, however the modelled type tends to be overbright and oversize when viewed from a distance (may vary with different video card setups) Were nav lights switched on when wings were folded anyway?

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde

Post by nazca_steve »

The lights are, as Jetstreamsky points out, coded into the cfg rather than modelled. The solution is to turn them off when folded and back on when lowered - slightly inconvenient I'll admit, but the best way around it.

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Can the wing lights be made to turn off automatically when the wing fold command is given?

We hit a similar problem with the A2A 3D lights on gear legs and folding wings. We now have a gauge (or gauges...can't remember now if one gauge does both) that is called specifically in these cases and it turns off the lights automatically if the gear is raised or the wings are folded.
Larry

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Many, many thanks Steve - you are a star. :welldone: :welldone: :welldone:

Have just enjoyed a quick flight and I am very impressed indeed.

Not intended as a crticism, but it may be a goo idea to point out in the read me that the Hunter Fgauges are reauired for the panel. I had a few empty holes until I had a look at the panel cfg - but then again, I am a bit of a numpty STUPID

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.