'Disk is write protected' on removable media

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

hinch
VC10
VC10

'Disk is write protected' on removable media

Post by hinch »

I've been having an issue not only with my card reader but with other external storage devices. When I plug them in I am able to view and copy content however I am unable to delete or manage the disk in any way.

I thought this was a dodgy card - tried a few - so then I thought it was the card reader - tried using a USB stick - and now I've been tryng odd fixes with 'diskpart' running commands such as 'Attributes volume clear' however that is inneffective as it cannot work with removable media.

Any idea of a fix? This is really annoying!

forthbridge
Concorde
Concorde

Re: 'Disk is write protected' on removable media

Post by forthbridge »

Are You using Vista? When did the problem start?
Jim

hinch
VC10
VC10

Post by hinch »

I'm running Vista Home Premium, 64bit

It started quite a while ago, as I said - I thought it was just a dodgy memory card for a while, then just a dodgy card reader...

It seems like a common Vista issue but removable media seems to make it more awkward.

forthbridge
Concorde
Concorde

Post by forthbridge »

There are a few workarounds. First of all, are the drives 'older' (IE populated with the Vista machine or other computers?)

The first thing to try (if you are able to) is to MOVE (Not copy) all the files OFF one of the drives to a 'system' or 'working' drive. When It's empty, copy these files back. (even one or two) and attempt a disk action. If the same thing happens, attempt a format.

If the issue occurs with ALL removeable media (Flash keys) another method needs to be looked at: can you source a new drive of any sort to test this out?

(With Vista, you can be caught with 'used' drives of any type, but if it finds and operates correctly a new drive of any type, it narrows down the issue)
Jim

hinch
VC10
VC10

Post by hinch »

My external hard drive is working just fine but anything plugged into the card reader is no go. My USB stick is not writeable, I can probably format it and try again to see if that helps. My digital camera with no memory card inserted plugged into a USB is also not writeable.

One of the memory cards has only been used on this PC and the camera only came yesterday. It's a new PC that's only had Vista on it.

EDIT I have just tried to format a USB stick and a memory card but I unable to as it is write protected!
Last edited by hinch on 06 Mar 2009, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

This sounds more like your security software is blocking it. It really doesn't sound like a function of the OS. The only time I've seen behavior like this was when my AV software (after a reinstall) reverted to draconian default options. This had happened both on XP and Vista with both Kaspersky and Trend
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

hinch
VC10
VC10

Post by hinch »

I've been using NOD32 for nearly 3 years, I don't think there are options to protect disks and things like that.

Googling the problem comes up with plenty of people in the same boat but none of the fixes are working for me.

The USB stick works fine on my girlfriends laptop she says.

forthbridge
Concorde
Concorde

Post by forthbridge »

Can you MOVE everything onto the system (emptying) the card and stick?

Is UAC on or off? Assuming vista recognises the card and stick, then have you checked the basic tabs under disk properties? (IE unticked 'read only')?
Jim

hinch
VC10
VC10

Post by hinch »

I am able to copy from the drives, I cannot move content onto them though.

If I untick read-only (which is checked) I just get 'media is read-only' messages.

As you can see in the screenshot I tried to use diskpart which returns a success message but still no luck.

I found this but it seems a bit heavy... http://www.accessdata.com/media/en_US/p ... .en_us.pdf