Autocrat - ic

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Autocrat - ic

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I honestly don't know how you've both managed to do that! Pity it wasn't online on the same fly-in :lol:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Kestrel19
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Kestrel19 »

What a Fantastic Model!! - It looks right, Feels right, and has a definate stability in Pitch like the full size lacking in many FS light aircraft!
Im comparing to the full size Autocar so it's a little slower - as expected but definately feels like an Auster! - I can see me having many happy hours in this.
Many Many Thanks to Dave and all those involved in the colours and testing!!

Can i make 2 minor comments (Not critasisms!!) and i'm working in comparison to the Autocar so some people may disagee!! - Full Flap feels a little too Draggy (something i also noticed with the MkV FS Auster) I would say that the 2nd stage setting (38 degrees) feels like Full Flap on the full Size. The second is that this model has acheived something Austers never managed - It's easy to land :lol:
I don't know if FS could even reproduce the need to have the stick Hard back for a 3 point landing to avoid the "Auster Bounce" (Somethng i demonstrated wonderfully in mine last week) :lol:

But please don't take these as negatives it's a fantastic model and great to fly!! - Many thanks again for all your hard work Dave!!! Can't wait for the next one!!! CHEERS

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

ooooooooooo......you have an Autocar??? DaveM(oly) would love to talk to you....is it Original or have the Lycoming conversion?

Martin (T6 Flyer) has access to one , but its apparently been converted - not that its a bad thing - but it would be nice to get some pointy end shots of
the Gypsy

By the while Im here a LARGE thank you to Martin (T6 Flyer) for contributing 300 digital pics of Austers great and small to the Project.

If I say ANYMORE Mr. Molyneaux will beta me up :-#

Leif

Kestrel19
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Kestrel19 »

It's the lycoming one but not converterted - Built with that engine by Auster as the J5V (the only one they did build)
I do have a couple of contacts though who could possibly supply some photo's of the Blackburn or Gypsy powered Autocars. PM me and i'll happily send details accross..... If i could every Interest Dave in building a Lycoming Autocar i'd be able to send accross as many photo's of that as needed as well ;-)

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Cheers Mate

You must be Martin's friend :) The ONLY 5V :)!!! Thats worth modeling , However thats Daves call not mine .

PM coming :)
Leif

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I don't know if FS could even reproduce the need to have the stick Hard back for a 3 point landing to avoid the "Auster Bounce" (Somethng i demonstrated wonderfully in mine last week)
Now that I can do :lol: The line between flying and not flying is very narrow.. one minute you're floating and won't land.. the next.. BOUNCE :lol:

Dear me Leif.. what are you getting poor Dave into! :worried: :lol:

ATB

ImageImage

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

You may well ask Dave B :roll: you should see (no you don't) what he tried to get me into yesterday ;-)
On a practical note - I'm very interested to read all the comments about the performance - here & elsewhere - fascinating to see how folks' experience of the aircraft differ so much. Too fast, too slow, brakes too strong, too weak - etc etc.
What i try and do, being purely a theoretical airman, is discuss the accumalated comments with the team and see if anything really needs changing i.e. does it materially affect the enjoyment of the flight.
So, keep 'em coming -
Cheers CHEERS
Dave (Moly)

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Ah, the famous Auster Bounce, nearly forgot about that as when I flew it I only had (luckily) one bounce and that was my very first landing as the rest were, according to Al Cree whom I used to fly with told me 'you could put eggs on the bungees and they would not break'.

I suppose this could only be attributed to the fact that the Auster was the first powered aircraft I started flying on and only after a number of flights in it was I then allowed the opportunity of bring her in for a landing. Out of all the hours I flew with a prop in front.....the majority were done in tail draggers Auster, Tiger Moth, Supercub. Only 2 other types were flown with a tricycle undercarriage but I always preferred the tail-draggers.

Have to agree with Kestrel regarding drag on full flap, though the one I flew most just had two flap settings but the one that Cranwell Flying Club had was three. Even with full flap one could quite easily maintain 60kts finals without too much nose down even with the throttle setting at idle. Hope you do not mind me bringing this up alongside Kestrels' comments but was rather reluctant to do so prior to his posting, just worried about the type of reply I would get!! :worried:

Anyway Dave, for old times sake how about a bit of bounce in them there bungees!!! :worried: :lol:

By the way Dave (Moly), sorry about the prang but fortunately the prop survived with no damage........unlike Leif!! :lol:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The 'brake' thing could have been missed to some degree (by me) as I generally find I'm so slow on landing I can almost step out thus.. brakes are not really necessary for stopping unless to park. I'll give it a whiz again this afternoon and see if I can get the Labrador off the back bench onto my lap in one easy go ;-) :lol:

EDIT..
Well.. I've tried to get it onto it's nose and can't! :o Was the braking strength changed from the final release candidate?? :think:
ATB

ImageImage

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Interesting useful comments as I'd expect from this forum -
Just spent a fun afternoon flying around trying numerous touch'n go's. I confess I've had extreme difficulty getting the aircraft to nose-over on brakes application after landing. Only succeeded once by seriously abusing the poor old thing and landing well above the manual's recommended air-speed with the brakes already hard-on (we always read the pilots notes - don't we :-# ).
Providing at least one notch of flap was set and the throttle was closed at the point of touch-down, there was not a hint of trouble, so, for the time being, I'm flummoxed.
Just a little point (not for you fine fellows, of course) the A.S.I. reads in m.p.h. whilst my top line sim readout is in Knots - could lead some tyros into bad ways that.
Cheers CHEERS
Dave M(oly)
ps - and no Dave there have been no changes there.