The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

alan cottrill
Lightning
Lightning

FSX Problem

Post by alan cottrill »

Hi All.
I managed to get hold of the dark side (FSX),i wanted to see if it would run on my machine,and if so how low would the settings have to go,i know i will have to update my machine,in order to get everything running at max.
But the problem is,it is not even regeristing that it is in the DVDRW drive,so i cannot even load it.
My system specs are:-
XP home edition with SP 2
pentium 4cpu 3.06GHz
1.50GB ram
disc (C:) cap 114GB free space 26.2GB
disc (F:) cap 232GB free space 185GB
DVDRW ide 16X
I was going to put the FSX onto disc(F:),but like i said,its not even regeristing that it is in the disc,just to check my DVD,i put in another prog disc,that was not installed on the computer,and it went straight to the install screen no problem,but because i did not wish to load this prog i just exited,so i know that the DVD drive is OK.
According to the specs on the box for FSX it should have loaded.
Regrads Alan. :cool:

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: FSX Problem

Post by TSR2 »

If it doesn't see the disk, its not a problem with your specs, sounds like the disk is damaged and wont read :dunno:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Random question, the disc that you checked the DVD drive with, was it a DVD or a CD? One of my optical drives is quite temperamental while the other will read just about anything.

alan cottrill
Lightning
Lightning

Post by alan cottrill »

Hi Skippybing.
It says on the box that its a dvd,but the prog is the justflight mosquito,and that comes upto the install page within seconds.
Where as the FSX says to use a dvd drive,and will not get recognised by the dvdrw,so it does not even see it,and so stops the install,even if i try the manual install.
Just a thought,does it have to be a DVD drive as opposed to a DVDRW drive.
According to the min spec the c drive should have enough space,but i was going to install it on my other drive f,once the install screen came up,but i aint even getting that far.
Regards alan. :cool:

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

... again... nothing wrong with your spec Alan, the Disk is nackered.

ImageImageImage

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Alan,

If the disc is knackered, you could try cleaning it.
I've recovered unplayable music CD's by rubbing them with T-Cut, but I've never tried it on a DVD. Alternatively, there are commercial disc cleaners available.
At your own risk.

Regards

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

alan cottrill
Lightning
Lightning

Post by alan cottrill »

Hi Kevin.
The discs are new,never been used,i got them from pc world,FSX standard edition on tue 26/05/09,then when i took a cooling fan back on sat 30/05/09,which i got the wrong size,i spotted the FSX delux edition,so i bought that,i have tried both with the same result,which leads me to think it is not the discs.
The discs do not have any scratches or show any sign of damage in any way.
I am thinking of taking it up town with me tommorrow,and pop into a local computer shop,to ask if they could try it,to double check if its faulty or not.
I am wondering also,if it might be a problem with anti virus prog running in background.
One of the windows updates,put in their firewall,even though i use zonealarm that was loaded onto my system,when i put the ntl broadband disc in,when i first joined ntl a few years back.
I also use avast to chack my system for any viruses,and i manually update this every day.
regards alan. :cool:

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Ah! you may be on to something.... AV rings a bell. you could try disconnecting your pc from the net, then disabling you av and trying it. Remember to re enable it before reconnecting to the network

ImageImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

zone alarm caused a problem... I'm sure there was a topic here on it somewhere :think:

ImageImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

There was Ben

Zone Alarm caused me problems like kicking me off the internet if I did ant windows updates.

Who knows what else it might do :think:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."