Help with olympic colours

The place to request or publish repaints for Classic British Aircraft. Please note... no FICTIONAL livery requests!

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry, The Painters

clavel9
Comet
Comet

Re: Help with olympic colours

Post by clavel9 »

ianhind wrote:Alan

Those latest versions look pretty good. I would just question whether Kefalonia should have an "O" after the two "L" - what is your source picture?

And I just found the discussion on the AFG website - I don't believe the model of SX-BBG which shows the Greek version in that view is correct. That side should be in English.

And that model confirms my first comment - note the "H" at the end of the name should be an "O" - all in Greek letters of course.

Ian
You are right, the text on that side should probably be in English: i thought these pictures might be more interesting from a colour point of view. There should be a letter "O" after the Ls.

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

alan cottrill
Lightning
Lightning

Post by alan cottrill »

Hi Ian.
The link is only part shown,but if you look at the pics SX-BBG is one i had as a guide,and is correct,english on the stbd side apparently,as i dont have a pic of this side,but definately greek port side,and the spelling can be done a couple of ways,depending on local dilect i imagine.(http://www.airlinefan.com/)
the different spellings i have found are.
Kephalonia
kephallonia
cephalonia
cephallonia
The aircraft that have the correct spelling due to pics are:-
SX-BBI/SX-BBK/SX-BBG/SX-BBL
The aircraft that i had to best guess the spelling are:-
SX-BBR/SX-BBQ/SX-BBP/SX-BBH.
The reason i say best guess,is that different translator progs,gave a slightly diferent interpretation.
The english on the stbd side is done in a similar font style as the greek,which is very awkward,and made me thing it was greek on both sides,SX-BBR is the only one i have showing the stbd side,and by the time you blow it up,to see the lettering,the pic is a bit blurred.
The spelling on the sx-bbg looks like it might be kephallonia,but i am going by a book i got which has the greek alphabet at the back,it is pronounced in a different way than what you would think.
kefalleenia,the h=ee.
regards alan. :cool:
Last edited by alan cottrill on 02 Jun 2009, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

In all honesty Alan I never use translator programmes for anything other than a ball park translation.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Alan

I'm not making myself clear, probably because I am trying to explain an alphabet that I don't know very well!

This picture on a model:
http://www.alliedfsgroup.com/forum/down ... .php?id=46
is incorrect because it shows the name in Greek rather than English BUT it is the spelling that I am looking at.

So my suggestion is that the name of SX-BBG in Greek is (red highlight is changed letter)

The other names look ok.

Ian

alan cottrill
Lightning
Lightning

Post by alan cottrill »

Hi Ian.
That model is so wrong,that i did not use it as a guide,i used a pic of the real aircraft,the mistake i made was thinking the A was a D,as that font was not clear on any of the pics,until it was pointed out to me,i have not as yet done any fonts for the english spelling on the stbd side,due lack of pics,but the O is the same as the greek O,and the L is like the english L and not the greek L,I will have to find different aircraft to get the english font styles needed on these aircraft . :cool:
Regards alan.

clavel9
Comet
Comet

Post by clavel9 »

Hello Alan

The best font I could find for the "English" letters in the Greek style is called Satyr. It's available for download here:

http://www.fontriver.com/foreign_look/roman_and_greek/

Of course, this will not give you the Greek letters for the Greek names, but will give a good indication of style. Perhaps you could develop vector graphics of the Greek letters based on this.

Hope this helps.

Brendan.

alan cottrill
Lightning
Lightning

Post by alan cottrill »

Hi All.
To all who might be interested in the AFG YS-11 v2.7 repaints in the olympic fleet colours,i have just put the pics in afg`s forum,your comments are welcome,as due to a lack of good photos,some of the work is a best guess.
regards alan. :cool: