Lightning crash

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Lightning crash

Post by Motormouse »

Hmm...maybe there was nothing to see when the aircraft left the ramp...whatever the circumstance.

From my own experience as groundcrew/crew chief (pick which label you prefer) once an aircraft has started its' t/off roll, its' all in the hands of the pilot, by the time that you get a message back via Air Traffic,(if they pick up the phone in time) the t/off abort point has passed.

ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

John
Concorde
Concorde

Post by John »

What a terrible shame. My condolences to everyone involved.

Kind regards

John
never give up, never surrender

henk hugo
Viscount
Viscount

Post by henk hugo »

Take a look at these shots - note the rather large flames in the 3rd frame....

John
Concorde
Concorde

Post by John »

What are the thoughts on the ejector seat? Did it fail? If so is that as unusual as it sounds?

John
never give up, never surrender

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

The fluid/gas coming off the belly may not have been unusual, I've seen similar coming off the Vixen when it was cycling its engines prior to take off, which I think was something to do with the oil system? If you look on the Harrier there's a large antenna looking device on the right hand side between the two exhausts which is again an oil bleed off, you often see smoke coming out of it when they're in the hover.
Re the ejector seat, do M-B support it? I recall reading that the guy who owns the Sea Harrier in the States (Art Nalls?) had problems getting them to support the one in his aircraft.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Losing an historic aircraft is one thing but to also lose a life with it is terrible especially as stated earlier in this thread that the pilot reported his ejection seat had failed. God knows what thoughts went through his mind before impact. :((

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

henk hugo
Viscount
Viscount

Post by henk hugo »

John wrote:What are the thoughts on the ejector seat? Did it fail? If so is that as unusual as it sounds?

John
it failed to fire on all 3 go's Loads of questions being asked - one of them is - should civvies flying mach2 jets?

Tweek
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tweek »

henk hugo wrote:
John wrote:What are the thoughts on the ejector seat? Did it fail? If so is that as unusual as it sounds?

John
it failed to fire on all 3 go's Loads of questions being asked - one of them is - should civvies flying mach2 jets?
Considering the Lightning's safety record, they seem to have done pretty well up until now. I've no doubt the jets are in good hands - one accident, at the fault of technical issues, shouldn't change that fact.

A terrible tragedy.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Nigel H-J wrote:Losing an historic aircraft is one thing but to also lose a life with it is terrible especially as stated earlier in this thread that the pilot reported his ejection seat had failed. God knows what thoughts went through his mind before impact. :((

Nigel.
I agree Nigel, it must have been awful. Very sad news indeed.

henk hugo
Viscount
Viscount

Post by henk hugo »

I'm just glad it was over the bomb range and not over Cape Town